Thursday, October 13, 2011

Apple Cake - Gâteau Aux Pommes



 It's a classic French cake and a granny recipes that everyone  over here knew how to bake. My hubby's grandma who taught me  this easy yet delicious cake. It's a cake with layers of apples goes dividedly with custard.



A moment with Jane
 
It was a picture which Henry Crawford had moral taste enough to value. Fanny's attractions increased- increased two - fold for the sensibility which beautified her complexion  and illumined her countenance, was an attraction in itself. He  was no longer in doubt of the capabilities of her heart. She had feeling, genuine feeling. It would be something to be loved by such a girl, to excite the first ardour of her young, unsophisticated mind! She interested him more than he had foreseen. A fortnight was not enough. His stay became indefinite.

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen (1814)



Apple Cake – Gâteau aux pommes

Ingredients :

3 apples  (peeled, cored & sliced & sprinkle ½ a lemon juice )
300g flour
10g baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
A pinch of salt
170g butter (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g brown sugar
3 eggs
200 ml milk
Split almonds or lightly toasted almond flakes
18 cm cake pan

Directions:

1)      Preheat oven to 180°C & grease cake pan . In a large bowl , sift flour, baking powder & ground cinnamon . Give it a good stir & set aside.
2)      Beat butter & sugar till creamy . Gradually add in eggs & beating continuously .  Stir in milk & vanilla extract .
3)      Fold in flour mixture with a pinch of salt & stir till well combined . Pour 1/3 of the batter in cake pan & alternate with a layer of apple slices . Repeat the layering & bake for 1 hour till golden brown . Let to cool .  Sprinkle some  split almonds or toasted almond flakes over the cake & serve with custard. 


 My younger son helped me to make this cake and it supposed to be many layers of apples. But he ate most of the slice apples instead of putting them in the cake pan. LOL


8 comments:

  1. This is perfecto to me today, a lovely apple cake! look amazing! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Gloria. It is a very easy to make cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, I must try this. I love your blog - beautiful pictures and layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci Bakking Addict. I like your blog too. I will surely try your pineapple upside down cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do try Desperatehousewife. It's really an easy recipe that you can surely enjoy making with Anjuli.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am about to make this cake, until I reckon that there's no flour in the recipes! Is this cake a flourless one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you for letting me know about the mistake. I've missed out the flour . Totally my mistake & I've republished this recipe in a clearer version . This cake needs 300g flour. Hope you like this cake. Bon appetit.

      Delete