Last Sunday we celebrated Epiphany or fête de rois. It is celebrated on the second Sunday after Christmas where we'll have the Galette des rois which means the cake of the king. On the northern part of France we have the Galette des rois with frangipane or apples. And as for the southern part of France they had the Gâteau de rois. Usually we place a small figurine made of porcelain or plastic in the galette. For the person who gets the part of galette with the figurine means that he or she was crowned as king or queen. And he or she must provide the next cake. It's been many years now I've not bake this Galette with puff pastry & frangipane. Last year I've baked a chocolate version with cherries. Ever since that we can find good quality puff pastry in the store, making the galette makes it easier without spending to much time working on the puff pastry.
Elinor, dreading her being tired, led her towards home; and till they reached the door of the cottage, easily conjecturing what her curiosity must be, though no question was suffered to speak it, talked of nothing but Willoughby, and their conversation together; and was carefully minute in every particular of speech and look, where minuteness could be safely indulged. As soon as they entered the house, Marianne, with a kiss of gratitude, and these two words just articulate through her tears, "Tell mamma," withdrew from her sister, and walked slowly up stairs. Elinor would not attempt to disturb a solitude so reasonable as what she now sought; and with a mind anxiously prearranging its results, and a resolution of reviving the subject again, should Marianne fail to do it, she turned into the parlour to fulfill her parting injunction.
Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen (1811)
Galette des rois à la frangipane
500g of puff pastry
150g soften butter
3 eggs + 1 yolk
150g powdered sugar
150g grounded almonds
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease baking tray.
2) Beat sugar & butter till creamy. Gradually add in eggs, one at a time.
3) Fold in the grounded almond till all well combined.
4) Roll puff pastry, using a 20cm cake ring circle to cut the puff pastry . You need 2 circle puff pastries. Place 1 circle on the baking tray & spread the frangipane cream on top, leaving 2cm
5) Brush edges with water & place the 2nd puff pastry on top of the frangipane. Using a folk & press the edges. You can decorate it with the left over puff pastry .Brush egg yolk on the puff pastry. Place in the oven & bake for 40 minutes till golden brown.