Friday, March 16, 2012

Banana & Poppy Seeds Cupcake








Jane's Corner

Perhaps," said Marianne, "I may consider it with some surprise. Edward is very amiable, and I love him tenderly. But yet- he is not the kind of young man- there is something wanting- his figure is not striking; it has none of that grace which I should expect in the man who could seriously attach my sister. His eyes want all that spirit, that fire, which at once announce virtue and intelligence. And besides all this, I am afraid, mamma, he has no real taste. Music seems scarcely to attract him; and, though he admires Elinor's drawings very much, it is not the admiration of a person who can understand their worth. It is that, in fact, of his frequent attention to her while she draws, that, in he knows nothing of the matter. He admires as a lover, not as a connoisseur. To satisfy me, those characters must be united. I could not be happy with a man whose taste did not in every point coincide with my own. He must enter into all my feelings: the same books, the same music must charm us both. Oh, mamma, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister more severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!"

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen (1816)





Banana & Poppy Seeds Cupcake
Recipe adapted from Johanna Farrow

Ingredients for 12 cupcakes

125g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
75g  semi-salted butter- soften
75g cane sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 ripe bananas mashed
80g poppy seeds


For frosting:
150g soften butter
250g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp of hot water

Directions:

 1) Preheat oven to 160°C.

2) Sift flour together with baking powder & baking soda.

3) Beat butter & sugar lightly. Add in eggs & mashed bananas & beat till all combined.






4) Fold in flour mixture & poppy seeds till all combined




5) Line 12 cupcake wrapper on cupcake pan. Spoon in batter into prepared cupcake wrappers. Bake for 20- 25 minutes till golden brown. Let to cool.

6) To make butter cream frosting - Beat soften butter &  sugar. Add in hot water & vanilla extract, beat till creamy & smooth. Place butter cream in piping bag & pipe them in free style fashion on top of the cupcake.





Bon Appetit






42 comments:

  1. These cupcakes sound perfect! I'm really not keen on frosting - too much butter and sugar for me - and I love adding poppy seeds into cakes, too! I really like the decoration - the ribbons make them look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola for your lovely words. Ya, I agreed that butter cream frosting is not really healthy . My sons describe it as tasteless & too heavy . With less frosting on cupcakes make us savor more the real taste of the cupcakes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kit, as usual I really love to drop by your blog to admire your beautiful picture. And your cuppies sure look good with the lovely presentation.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, Nice to see you too. Thanks for your kind words. I'll be hopping over your blog ! Have a great weekend to you too, Amelia! : ))

      Delete
  3. Hi sis,
    I made some banana cupcakes too from your recipe have yet to post it and I have some ranonkel flowers too what a coincidence hahaha will see if i hv time to post it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... Great minds think alike! Hurry & post, can't wait to see your version of banana cupcakes! HUGS! : )

      Delete
  4. look wonderful, love the ribbons in the cakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I wish we where neighbors! These look perfect with a nice cup of coffee or tea! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serena! That will be great ! I'm sure we'll have fun & enjoy each other bakes! : )

      Delete
  6. Delightful Kit. I'm in awe of the fact that your son is not big on frosting and actually requested a "healthy" dessert. Just wonderful. As are those gorgeous Banana & Poppy Seed Cupcakes!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise for your lovely words. The thing is they still love to eat lots of candies & potato chips though! Trying my best to educate them to eat healthy. I must say that since we have our vegetable patch, they are willing to try new vegetables that we've planted. =)

      Delete
  7. These look amazing,tasty and so yummy.Love your presentation and your love plate set :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clairejustine. Glad that you like it§ I admire your presentation & pictures . They are so amazingly lovely! =)

      Delete
  8. I love your addition of poppy seeds...and these cupcakes are so beautifully styled!!! I'm certain your son was thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy. Yes, they finished these cupcakes in minutes: =)

      Delete
  9. I have never really baked with poppy seeds. I like this addition to the yummy recipe..thanks...looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Poppy seeds added an addition of nutty taste to these cupcakes. Do try & hope you'll like it. Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  10. yummy cupcake with lovely presentation....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So tempting with that little dollop of frosting in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline for dropping by. Hahahah..Ya, that's all I can add on top of the cupcakes, my boys really not fond of the butter cream at all. LOL =)

      Delete
  12. These look just beautiful!!! Great presentation, make me wanna have them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elpiniki for your nice woeds. Have lovely day! =)

      Delete
  13. These look lovely. I enjoy poppy seeds in baking, too - I bet they are even better with some banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I love poppy seeds in citrus bakes but with banana it taste good too!

      Delete
  14. Your cupcakes are beautiful and your post was charming. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I enjoyed my visit here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary for your encouraging & lovely words! I really do appreciate it. I hope you'll have a lovely day too! =)

      Delete
  15. These look really good...and sometimes I think less is more on the buttercream front! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. How true & also better for our waist line! LOL =)

      Delete
  16. These look great! Love bananas and poppy seeds but would never have thought to pair them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros. Nice to hear from you! Hope you've a great vacation ! Miss you dear friend! =)

      Delete
  17. How delicious, will have to try that :-)! and your pictures are so beautifull!!! love, jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jutta, Thank you so much !Do give it a try & let me know! Have a nice day dear Jutta! HUGS =)

      Delete
  18. Very creative one here! I always see poppy seeds paired with citrus, but the idea of blending it with banana does sound tasty. You son has great taste. Also, I like that there is not a lot of frosting on there, I am sure that the cake part is delicious enough to stand alone. Hope you enjoyed the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. These banana cupcakes taste better without the lot of cream they'll make them too heavy! Have a lovely day , Tina! =)

      Delete
  19. This is one perfect presentation .... the cupcake really looks great .. I really love your presentation , the picture and all ... looks really beautiful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghee thanks Abbygail. Thank you for dropping by as well. Glad that you like my space. Hope to see you again! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  20. this cupcake looks delicious! i love the burst of flavor and texture that poppies add :). what happened to the song that was playing on your blog? i loved it! what is the song called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Junia, Nice to see you again & thanks for your nice words. I don't really know what happen to my song but it still playing here. The song is called A Walk In The Forest by Yiruma. Glad that you like it. Hopefully the next time you drop over the song is still playing.

      Delete
  21. hi kit, your presenatation is always so beautiful..really enjoying looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena. Glad that you like my space & enjoy the pictures! Have a lovely day , Lena! =)

      Delete