Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chocolate & Salted Caramel Easter Egg








Persuasion by Jane Austen (1818)

Chapter 1

Mary had acquired a little artificial importance, by becoming Mrs Charles Musgrove; but Anne, with an elegance of mind and sweetness of character, which must have placed her high with any people
of real understanding, was nobody with either father or sister; her word had no weight, her convenience was always to give way--she was only Anne. To Lady Russell, indeed, she was a most dear and highly valued god-daughter, favourite, and friend.  Lady Russell loved them all; but it was only in Anne that she could fancy the mother to revive again. A few years before, Anne Elliot had been a very pretty girl, but her bloom had vanished early; and as even in its height, her father had found little to admire in her, (so totally different were her delicate features and mild dark eyes from his own), there could be nothing in them, now that she was faded and thin, to excite his esteem. He had never indulged much hope, he had now none, of ever reading her name in any other page of his favourite work. All equality of alliance must rest with Elizabeth, for Mary had merely connected herself with an old country family of respectability and large fortune, and had therefore given all the honour and received none: Elizabeth would, one day or other, marry suitably.



Chocolate & Salted Caramel Easter Egg
Recipe adapted from Chiristophe Felder

Ingredients :

6 egg shells or egg shell mold
180g dark chocolate + 20g for shaved chocolate deco

For salted caramel:

100g sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp single cream/ liquid cream
80g butter
2 pinch of sea salt 

Directions:



1) Preheat oven to 200° C. Wash carefully the egg shells especially the inner part & let it to dry.  Place the egg shells in oven  for 25 minutes before using the shells. Leave to cool. This process is to avoid gem contamination.  Melt chocolate on double boiler/ bain - marie till smooth.


2) Using a brush , brush in the chocolate in inner part of egg shell. Let it to set. You have to repeat this for at least 4 times. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.


3) To make salted caramel: Place sugar in saucepan  over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add in honey & let it to boil. When it turns a medium amber color. If sugar crystals gather along the sides of the pan during the cooking process, you can use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush the sugar down the sides of the pan so that it becomes incorporated into the boiling mixture.


4) Remove the pan from heat and pour in the cream. It will bubble up!!. Whisk the caramel, then incorporate butter and sea salt. Whisk again until everything is smooth. It should be the color of caramel. Leave to cool.


5) Remove egg shells from chocolate & spoon in salted caramel. Place in refrigerator. Just before  serve topped with shaved chocolate. * I did the wrong way by adding the caramel before peeling off the egg shells!


 
 Bon Appetit

48 comments:

  1. These look really cute and I love salted caramel!! I'm impressed you went to the trouble of using egg shells and then peeling it all off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. Ya I've to admit that it' was not that easy to peel off those egg shell. But if I'llto make these again it will certainly be with an egg mould! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome cliks..it luks very fantastic n yummy too..loved it....:-)
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maha. It's worth the try. Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  4. yummy .... deliciously made ... nice pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sriya! Glad tha you drop by! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  5. Oh how lovely that is! I don't know what a salted caramel is. But I am sure it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selena. Salted caramel is caramel with a little hint of salt but it does taste better than the usual caramel. =)

      Delete
  6. I m very very impressed kit. these look amazing. hats off to you dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  7. Hi Kit, wow... you are good. Very impressive and you too very creative.
    I love your presentation and beautiful photos.
    Look like I had to skip my other schedule and do this for Easter posting.

    Can I have your permission to post this recipe in my blog?

    Have a nice weekend, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, Thanks for your kind words. Glad that you like this recipe. Ya, you can try this recipe & post in your blog. But I have to warn you about the tedious part, peeling off the egg shells! It's really hard removing those shells & quite messy! Do you have an egg shell mould? It'll be easier using the mould. I hope you like it§ Thanks for dropping by & have a lovely day, Amelia! =)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kit, I had try out the salted caramel, it taste really good. Check out my disaster of making the chocolate shell.
      Was busy in the kitchen until midnight, doing transformation. LOL

      Thanks for introducing your sister to my blog. *HUGS*

      Have a beautiful Sunday.

      Delete
  8. Children always have the best fun ideas. Love your site. Thank you for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Bee. Yes, they will always come up with creative ideas that sometime do amazed me! Have a lovely day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Jane Austin and her novels! I also love these eggs! Very appropriate for the Easter that is coming! You have a beautiful blog with mouthwatering recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katerina for your lovely words & for dropping by. Hope to see you again. Have a lovely weekend! =)

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful recipe and what a great blog! I love your fabulous cakes! Thanks for your kind comments on my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcellina for your kind words & for dropping by my space! I like your blog too! Have a great weekend! =)

      Delete
  12. I have never even attempted chocolate molded candy yet. Bravo to you for attempting such delicate work with the eggshell candy. I do enjoy caramel though, just the aroma of it is enough to get my mouth watering. I am sure your place smelled amazing as you made this. These are perfect for Easter and you did a great job. I like your stunning photo here, spring has definitely sprung. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words! Yes, it does have the lovely caramel aroma lingering around ! This is quite a challenge for me coz I've to substitute the egg shell mold to egg shells! But it was a great experience! If I ever do it again it would be with a egg shell mold. No more egg shell for me though! LOL Have a lovely weekend to you too, dear Tina ! =)

      Delete
  13. What a creative and fun Easter treat! I love the salted caramel with the chocolate -- perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much dear Amy! Hope you are feeling better now! Glad that you drop by! Take care & have a great weekend dear Amy! =)

      Delete
  14. that looks interesting, you're creativity is so unique and your music entertain me as always...love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot of your encouraging words & I really do appreciate it! Have a pleasant weekend, Tess! =)

      Delete
  15. Caramel is my favorite and these look divine! Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Serena! Have a lovely weekend to you too! =)

      Delete
  16. this looks amazing!! it reminds me of the cadbury eggs, but with an extremely better filling of salted carmel inside. You have a lot more patience then I would have to peel all those eggs. I love the pic of the egg in the chicken very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.. thanks so much , believe me it started to get into my nerves when peeling the 3 last of these egg shells!! I will not make this recipe again till I have a proper egg mold, trust me on that! LOL Have a great weekend ! =)

      Delete
  17. Oh, man, this combination sounds just amazing!!! I baked brownies in eggshells a while back...and they were such a pain to peel (and to evacuate!). But they were darn cute in the end...just like yours~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy. Yes, I agreed that they look cute & taste heavenly ; But the peeling off those egg shells really gets into my nerves!! Thank god I only have 6!! LOL Have a nice weekend , Lizzy dear! =)

      Delete
  18. This is such a cute idea. Looks so yummy, I love chocolate and caramel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! Have a lovely weekend! =)

      Delete
  19. What a brilliant idea- and a great project for the school holidays! These been the manufactured versions hands down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliment! Yes, it's a great holiday project but the next time I prefer make this with an egg shell mould ! Less nerve racking!! LOL Have a nice day, Kate! =)

      Delete
  20. Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely thoughts :)
    The Easter eggs look so cute and looks like all your hard work has paid off! Well done!
    Happy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping & I'm glad to have you as my new follower! & thanks for your lovely words! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  21. Beautiful idea,this looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clairejustine. Glad that you like it! Have a nice day ! =)

      Delete
  22. Oh wow, what a wonderful idea! I think I will try that with the rest of my ostrich eggs :-). Although peeling will be even more difficult...
    Maybe it would come of easier if you first oil the eggs?
    Not sure yet if I will show this post to Eva, as she will definitely want to try it and i might not be brave enough after all.
    have a wonderful weekend!
    big hug
    jutta
    ps: thanks for your lovely comments! i like the suggestion to hide the pumpkin with similar colored veggies, maybe the sweet potatoes will work
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jutta , Thanks for your kind words. I have not tried with oil on the egg shell. But an egg shell mould will definitely helps! Glad that like my trick about hiding veges. Hope it will work & I'm keeping my finger cross for you, dear Jutta; Have a nice week,! HUGS =)

      Delete
  23. I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Happy Blogger Award, stop on by to get your badge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Another award from you!! Thank you so much Neshanne, you're really sweet for nominating me! I'll definitely drop by your blog, dear friend! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  24. hi kit, i just happened to see some easter eggs recipes in one of my magazines, they did it with egg moulds. I'm impressed that you did that with egg shells, i can imagine how stressful it could be getting the chocolate eggs out from the shells! But you did it beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena! Ya, it was a bit nerve racking the peeling off part!! Thank god I only have 6 to peeled off & it seems forever I was doing just that! Believe me, I won't do this again till I get a proper egg shell mould, that's for sure!! LOL =)

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by & hope to see you again! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  26. These look amazing! Another great use for egg-shells and one that I will have to borrow next year :)

    ReplyDelete