Friday, April 27, 2012

Caramel Coconut Flan








Jane Austen moment – PERSUASION (1818)

Chapter 4

More than seven years were gone since this little history of sorrowful interest had reached its close; and time had softened down much, perhaps nearly all of peculiar attachment to him, but she had been too dependent on time alone; no aid had been given in change of place (except in one visit to Bath soon after the rupture), or in any novelty or enlargement of society.  No one had ever come within the Kellynch circle, who could bear a comparison with Frederick Wentworth, as he stood in her  memory.  No second attachment, the only thoroughly natural, happy, and sufficient cure, at her time of life, had been possible to the nice tone of her mind, the fastidiousness of her taste, in the small limits of the society around them.  She had been solicited, when about two-and-twenty, to change her name, by the young man, who not long afterwards found a more willing mind in her younger sister; and Lady Russell had lamented her refusal; for Charles Musgrove was the eldest son of a man, whose landed property and general importance were second in that country, only to Sir Walter's, and of good character and appearance; and however Lady Russell might have asked yet for something more,  while Anne was nineteen, she would have rejoiced to see her at twenty-two so respectably removed from the partialities and injustice of her father's house, and settled so permanently near herself.
But in this case, Anne had left nothing for advice to do; and though Lady Russell, as satisfied as ever with her own discretion, never wished the past undone, she began now to have the anxiety which borders on hopelessness for Anne's being tempted, by some man of talents and independence, to enter a state for which she held her to be peculiarly fitted by her warm affections and domestic habits.




Coconut Flan

Ingredients:

For Caramel:
250g sugar
150ml water
Lemon juice

For Coconut Flan
500 ml milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250g sweetened condensed milk
100g shredded coconut

Directions:

1) For Caramel sauce: Combine  water, sugar & few drops of lemon juice in saucepan on  high heat and bring to a boil. When mixture has reduced, thickened and turned a golden color, remove from heat. Pour onto bottom of  cake pan or ramekin.


2) For coconut flan: Preheat oven to 170°C . In a big bowl , add in milk, eggs, condensed milk & coconut & stir well till all combined. Spoon in the mixture onto  the prepared caramel cake pan.


3) Add enough reserved hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan Transfer to oven, and bake until just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate  overnight. Let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes before unmolding. Run a thin knife around edge of the flan, and invert onto a plate. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top of the flan.




Sharing this recipe with Vardhini's Bake Fest event hosted this month by Sumee of  Sumee's Culinary Bites.


Bon Appetit



24 comments:

  1. love flan and this look really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria dear for your lovely words! Have a lovely weekend my friend! =)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kit, so good to see you back in action again. I was worry about you, thinking what happen to you suddenly MIA. *a big cyber hugs for you, muahhzzz...*

    You coconut flan look extremely awesome. The recipe and procedure look so simple, I will give it a try soon.

    As usual your photograph also very gorgeous and elegant better than 5 star hotel. :)

    Have a lovely weekend, regards to you and all at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,
      Thanks so much for your concern & your lovely words! It really makes my day & I do appreciatte it very much.

      To be frank I was a bit down recently & also having problem with Blogger. As you can see I did not reply most of the comments on few of my previous post just because I've having some technical problems. But now o.kay & back to normal. At one point I can't even post anything. I was busy solving this problem the last 2 weeks!! Luckily I can still published all the lovely comments that really help me to continue.

      Now I'm back for good ! LOL Thanks again Amelia & I'm sending you a huge cyber huge too! Muahzz

      Have a lovely weekend my friend! =)

      Delete
  3. Your flan looks perfect to me! Smooth texture and looks so good! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your kind words brighten up my day! Have lovely weekend! =)

      Delete
  4. Mmmm! I love the way the coconut rises to the top which then becomes the base! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcelina! Isn's that amamzing! I was really surprised by it the first time I've made it! Everyone thought it was a cheesecake!LOL =)

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a gorgeous presentation, Kit!!! Truly a delicious AND stunning dessert~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy for your lovely words! Have a great weekend! =)

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful flavor of flan. I have had it before but never this flavor, tropical coconut sounds great to me! Also, the presentation is truly one that would bring everyone running to the table. Your photos are always so elegant! Delicious post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments on my cake! Byron was definitely happier with the cake than he would have been with just some cookies so it all worked out for the best in the end! YUM! this flan looks amazing, coconut is my favourite flavour to bake with and just the thought of this has me drooling! shredded coconut base? what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we lived closer because I would be stopping by for dessert! This looks perfect! Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. light and delicious looking Kit....love it..good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby loves fruit flan, hahaha! Never try coconut flan b4 but I can imagine how tasty it is! Coconut is such a versatile fruit to make cake, dessert & cookings! Love the caramel topping too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a yummy dessert. I love it. It is simply mouthwatering XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh poor Anne :(

    This flan looks delicious, love the use of coconut in it - very unusual.

    If you are able to get me your WSC entry today, I can still include it in the round-up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum yum, another lovely recipe with such beautiful pictures! thanks so much dear Kit, would love to come and visit you and try out your creations :-).
    Did I mention before how much I LOVE your beautiful comments? They always make me smile :-).
    big hug dear friend
    love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks pretty perfect to me! I love flan but have never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love custardy things, be it panna cotta or flan, this is a lovely variation with coconut, one of my favourite favourite ignredients and flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that coconut base soaking in the caramel sounds good, not to mention your creamy smooth custard! it just looking fabulous, a flawless flan!have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love flans and the coconut addition sounds great. A touch of class I'd say.

    ReplyDelete