Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chocolate Malteser Cake







 

Jane Austen moment in Persuasion

Chapter 6

And I will tell you our reason," she added, "and all about it. I am come on to give you notice, that papa and mamma are out of spirits this evening, especially mamma; she is thinking so much of poor Richard!  And we agreed it would be best to have the harp, for it seems to amuse her more than the piano-forte.  I will tell you why she is out of spirits.  When the Crofts called this morning, (they called here afterwards, did not they?), they happened to say, that her brother, Captain Wentworth, is just returned to England, or paid off, or something, and is coming to see them almost directly; and most unluckily it came into mamma's head, when they were gone, that Wentworth, or something very like it, was the name of poor Richard's captain at one time; I do not know when or where, but a great while before he died, poor fellow!  And upon looking over his letters and things, she found it was so, and is perfectly sure that this must be the very man, and her head is quite full of it, and of poor Richard!  So we must be as merry as we can, that she may not be dwelling upon such gloomy things."




Malteser Cake
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson’s cookbook ‘ Feast

Ingredients
For cake
100g sugar
100g brown sugar
4 eggs
175 ml milk
15g butter
175g flour
2 tbsp Ovomaltine/ Horlicks
25g cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
 ½ tsp bicarbonate if soda
2 x 8 inch cake pan

For Frosting:
125g softened butter
250g icing sugar
45g Horlicks
1 tsp cocoa
2 tbsp boiling water
80g of Malteser chocolate

Directions:

1)      Preheat Oven to 170°C & grease  two 10 inch round cake pan.


2)      Beat eggs & sugar till creamy.


3)      In a sauce pan, heat milk, Horlicks powder & butter but do let it boil.  Stir till the butter is melted. Beat  milk mixture into eggs a little at a time till well combined.


      4)  Fold in all dry ingredients till well cooperated. Divide cake batter evenly between two cake
           pan & bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Let to cool.

      5)  For frosting:  Beat Horlicks, icing sugar & cocoa till well blended.  Add in butter & keep on
           whisking .  Pour in boiling water & continuously beating till smooth.

     6)  Spread butter cream on cake & add Malteser chocolate a round the cake before sandwich them
           together.  Topped the cake with some butter cream & decorate with Maltesser chocolate.



Bon Appetit




The Language Of Flowers - Iris


Iris symbolized wisdom, Fleur-de-lis, emblem of France, valued friendship, faith, hope, valor, my compliments, passion. It is associated with the twenty-fifth wedding anniversary too.



Iris from my garden. 


43 comments:

  1. Hello! I really love this, I make Maltesers cupcakes all the time with Ovaline, they always come out an absolute treat :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Cakeaholic! Malteser cupcakes sound good! And yes, it's really a fabulous treat! One just can't get enough of these goodies! hehehehe =)

      Delete
  2. Me neither, the taste of Ovaltine is intensely addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so tempting that for one can't resist! LOL

      Delete
  3. Lovely and perfect like all you make!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria dear! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks alot dear Resh! Have a nice day ! =)

      Delete
  5. Oh so cute! Can I have some of the cake, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... For you anything can! heheheh But can I exchange with your goodies? =)

      Delete
  6. Both cake and flowers are so pretty. If only I can enjoy a piece of the delicious cake with you over tea, that will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quay Po! Nice to hear from you again! I would love to share this cake with you over a cup of tea anytime! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Terima Kasih Shahriah for dropping by & your nice words! Hope to see you again! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  8. Great looking cake Kit. My kids would go crazy for such a treat :D. The flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anuja dear! Not only kids would go crazy over this treat even adults like ME are NUTS about it too! LOL Have a nice day, Anuja! =)

      Delete
  9. goodness what a beautiful chocolate cake! That chocolate buttercream sounds delicious, im going to have to try it soon. =) have a great day Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neshanne for your lovely words! I was not keen on butter cream but this Ovolmaltine butter cream is worth the try! Have a lovely day dear! =)

      Delete
  10. WOW! A breathtaking looking cake! This cake sounds familiar but I cannot recall where I have seen it! My kids would definitely love this chocolaty cake! Beautiful iris flowers, what other secret beauties you have in your garden? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Joyce! Ya, the kids will definitely like this cake full with cocoa goodness! Hehehe... I still have flowers to post & it's just the beginning of the blooming season! Stay tune! Have nice day, dear Joyce! =)

      Delete
  11. Bellissimo!! Another great creation and the details of your presentation are very accurate and professional. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghee! Thanks alot for your lovely compliment Alida! Tried my best to make it at least presentable for the kids which I think don't even care! LOL Have a lovely day Alida! =)

      Delete
  12. I love how your photos are taken outside, so pretty! I don't know if I could stop at one slice, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathleen for dropping by & your kind words! I love to take outdoor photos with natural lights & the beautiful gift of mother nature! Have a nice day & hope to see you again! =)

      Delete
  13. I remember this Nigella's recipe! I have this in my to-bake list but never get a chance to bake this.

    My son will make the same request if he sees this cake in your blog... Your cake looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Zoe! This is truly kids kind of cake full with chocolaty goodness! Have a nice day , Zoe! =)

      Delete
  14. What a luscious cake!and Ovomaltina reminds me of the breakfasts I had when I was a child...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweet Life, Ya, it does reminds me of my childhood drinking Ovolmatine or Horlicks for breakfast! Childhood goodies! LOL Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  15. Did you say Horlicks? I've never heard or tasted a cake that has Horlicks. This must be heavenly..I can never resist chocolate..I feel like I'm a child all over again..horlicks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.. ya, it reminded me of my childhood too. I remembered drinking Horlicks every morning before going to school! LOL Yup, it's a Horlicks cake! hahahah

      Delete
  16. wow, this is super luscious!! now give me a slice of your burger cake!haha! i guess the kids will pick up all the chocolates and eat them first before the cake! Have a good weekend, kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..Thanks Lena! Yup, they did just that , eating all the Malteser chocolate before attacking the cake! LOL For you I can give you the whole burger cake with extra Malteser! How does that sound ? LOL Have a great week to you too! =)

      Delete
  17. wow...awesome chocolaty cake....yum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kit, this is really fantastic. Wow... wow... it look really... really awesome. Can pass me 1 big slice? LOL

    As usual I really love your presentation and photography skill.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, thanks a lot for your kind words dear! I always reserve big piece for you one leh! heheheh You want teh tarik to go with this cake or not? LOL Have a lovely day too dear Amelia! =)

      Delete
  19. Mmm, love maltesers and love horlicks. I bet this is super delicious. I made a horlicks loaf cake last year which was really tasty, but haven't made Nigella's version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette! Wow! Horlicks loaf cake sounds delicious but too bad I can't find horlicks over here in France. Will try your horlicks loaf cake once I get hold of the horlicks! Have a nice day Choclette! =)

      Delete
  20. And another dangerous post! these days i have to distract Eva when she wants to look what you are up too. she has a birthday coming up and there is no way i can make something that looks so stunning! Is the Malteser chocolate already so round or did you make these gorgeous balls? Have never heard of it before, but maybe it is something that hasnt found its way to Africa yet...
    Hugs to you my lovely friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jutta, hahaaha glad that Eva like my post too! Malteser is chocolate balls that I bought from grocery stores. Can be found almost everywhere. You might try other chocolate balls & it 'll work the same , I supposed! Have a lovely day, dear Jutta! A big HUG to you & Eva! =)

      Delete
  21. Stunning! Absolutely stunning. I made something similar previously with maltesers and nutella. I love how you've decorated your cake. I really wish I could have a slice now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros! Wow! Mlteser & nutella sounds amazing! My boys will certainly LOVE it! Will check out your recipe & make it for my son's birthday! Have a nice day, Ros! =)

      Delete
  22. Your blog is so lovely and the music so beautiful. I found you from Organized Living Solutions by Jutta.
    What a talent for baking you have been given......
    A new follower:)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete