Friday, May 11, 2012

Okinawan Sweet Potato Haupia Pie









Jane Austen moment in Persuasion

Chapter 6

I am come on to give you notice, that papa and mamma are out of spirits this evening, especially mamma; she is thinking so much of poor Richard!  And we agreed it would be best to have the harp, for it seems to amuse her more than the piano-forte.  I will tell you why she is out of spirits.  When the Crofts called this morning, (they called here afterwards, did not they?), they happened to say, that her brother, Captain Wentworth, is just returned to England, or paid off, or something, and is coming to see them almost directly; and most unluckily it came into mamma's head, when they were gone, that Wentworth, or something very like it, was the name of poor Richard's captain at one time; I do not know when or where, but a great while before he died, poor fellow!  And upon looking over his letters and things, she found it was so, and is perfectly sure that this must be the very man, and her head is quite full of it, and of poor Richard!  So we must be as merry as we can, that she may not be dwelling upon such gloomy things."




Okinawan Sweet Potato Haupia Pie
Recipe adapted from Jo Anne Sugimoto

Ingredients:

For crust base:
90g unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
100g Macadamia nuts chopped or ground
225g flour

Sweet potato filling:
2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes: If you’re using fresh sweet potatoes, Peel & boil potatoes tills soft & mashed it.
115g butter softened
3 eggs lightly beaten
100g to 150g sugar
½ cup of evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Haupia filling:
400 ml coconut milk
125 ml water
50g sugar
45g cornstarch

Whipped cream:
20 cl liquid cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
Directions:

For the crust base:


1)      Mix sugar & flour in a bowl. Add in chopped nuts with butter & knead till dough.


2)      Grease pie pan & press the dough onto the bottom of a pie pan. Continue pressing till up the sides of the pan.  Place it in the refrigerator.

For the sweet potato filling:


      1) ¨Preheat oven to 180°C .Beat butter, sugar & cream till creamy.

2)      Gradually add in egg one at a time & keep on mixing. Pour half of the mashed sweet potatoes & mix till well combined. Add the rest of the sweet potatoes & mix again till in cooperated.


3)      Add in vanilla extract, evaporated milk, salt till well combined. Spread sweet potato mixture onto to pie crust half way to the top of the crust so that there enough  space for the Haupia filling. Bake for 30 minutes till the crust turn golden brown. Let to cool before starting to prepare the Haupia filling because it will solidify very fast.

Haupia filling:


1)      Combine water & coconut milk in a saucepan. Mix sugar & cornstarch together then add into the coconut milk. On medium heat ,stir the coconut liquid mixture till it thickens , this will take few minutes.


2)      Pour the Haupia mixture immediately over the sweet potatoes layer & spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator for few hours. I chilled it overnight.


3)      Beat whipped cream with powdered sugar till stiff. Pipe or spread whipped cream over the Haupia layer before serve. 



 
I’m submitting this to AlphaBakes challenge hosted this month by Caroline of Caroline Makes & co-hosted with Ros@Baking Addict of The More Than Occasional Baker. And the random letter for this month in ‘H’






The Language Of Flowers

Wisteria from my garden.


In the language of flower, Wisteria means welcome & also as a symbol of love .  We see the Wisteria in the 1820s Japanese Kabuki drama Fuji Musume(Wisteria Maiden) .  The Wisteria Maiden is depicted in a painting holding a Wisteria branch, until one day she becomes smitten with a young man & steps out of the painting in an effort to capture his attention .  Unfortunately, her attempts are futile .  Her lives goes unrequited, & she sorrowfully steps back into two dimensional world of her lonely painting still holding her weeping Wisteria. 


Linking this to Flowers on Saturday event.

 blueberry craft and hobby time




This post is specially dedicated to my mom. Happy Mother's Day, Mama!



57 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and it is such a good tart. Great recipe, bookmarking it. I will try this soon X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alida for your lovely words. Do give it a try & let me know. It's a very tasty tart & special too. Have a great weekend , Alida! =)

      Delete
  2. WOW thanks so much for entering this to AlphaBakes. Having never heard of Haupia pie before I've now seen 2 in one day - both for AlphaBakes! I love the colour of the sweet potato filling - absolutely gorgeous. All your pictures are gorgeous!! I'm glad it was worth the effort of making it. It looks too pretty to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros for your kind words. I made Haupia pie quite often coz my hubby love it. This a different version of it with something I've never tried before for bakes! It's really worth every bit of work for this pie! It's really delicious! =)

      Delete
  3. wow..this is absolutely fabulous recipe!!! I'll definitely give a try :) Perfectly done too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teena Mary! Glad to hear from you again! Hope you'll like this pie! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  4. Kit - I can't believe it! You made Haupia Pie too, how funny is that! I had never even heard of it before so I was completely gobsmacked when I saw your post pop up on my reader! haha I guess us coconut lovers think alike! but I'm absolutely loving your purple version - how cool is that! I love the way you piped the cream on top - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for lovely words. Yeah! Great minds think a like huh! Love your chocolate Haupia pie too with shreded coconut topping! Awesome! Both of these Haupia pie really delicious! It's really worth the try don't you think! Have a lovely day, dear! =)

      Delete
  5. i actually love the pastel purple in your pie though you may want it to look a little vibrant. It's lovely and sounds delicious with that creamy coconut filling! I'm just so lazy to make pies!
    The wisteria flowers are really beautiful! guess there must be one or 2 vases filled with these flowers in your house. Do these flowers have a fragrant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena for the encouraging words! Hahaha Can't believe you've said you are lazy to make pie! You've make more effort bakes than this leh! I always admire your bakes especially your bread making! Helas, these Wisteria are not meant to put in a vase. I prefer admire them on the Pagoda. Yes, it does have a lovely fragrant. =)

      Delete
  6. Kit , your cake looks as luscious as your garden ! I love all the flavors of that cake and the addition of macadamia nuts to the tart/pie base makes me swoon ! lol Obviously somebody here is crazy about that nuts :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne for your kind words! LOL... I for one love nuts! A little NUT bit myself too sometimes! LOL Have a lovely day, Anne! =)

      Delete
  7. Look really beauty love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Gloria! You're sweet! Have a nice day, dear friend! HUGS =)

      Delete
  8. What a fabulous colour and beautifully pipped cream on top. Lovely wisteria wish my flowered as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely compliment! Besides baking , I love gardening too. Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  9. Hi Kit, pass me 1 big slice,please. Your pie look extremely good and your piping look very neat and tidy. yum yum.

    You not only good at baking but good at gardening too. Love all your flowers, very gorgeous and beautiful.

    Have a nice weekend, *hugs*
    Happy mother's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, Happy Mother's day to you too! Thanks again for your lovely compliment. Of course you get a big piece & even double piece oso boleh! Anything boleh for you dear! LOL Ya, I love gardening too besides baking but all this bunnga it's easy growing plants actually! heheheeh some grow like lalang! LOL
      Have a lovely day & a bear hug to you, dear Amelia! =)

      Delete
  10. This Haupia pie looks delicious. I have never been to Hawaii, but hope to get there some day.I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Hawaii is really beautiful & I hope to go there again soon! Great holiday destination! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  11. OOOh kit this is just so great!! I love everything about today's post, the colourful okinawan sweet potato, the delicious tart, the beautiful wisteria and the heart breaking story of the wisteria maiden.
    Have a wonderful weekend dear and a big cyber hug for you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anuja for your lovely compliment! Glad that you like this post. I wanted to share some of the flowers in my garden. Will post more in the coming post till autumn! Hope you'll like it! Have a lovely day, Anuja & a huge bear hug to you too dear! =)

      Delete
  12. What a lovelt dessert! Sounds yum..enjoyed reading the piece as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by & your kind words! Glad that you like this post! Have a lovely day, Suchi! =)

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, what a beautiful cake! I love sweet potatoes, and i love your beautiful pictures!
    thanks for this delicious recipe, have bookmarked it (yet again, a lot of my bookmarked list contains links to you :-) ).
    hugs and lots of love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jutta, Thanks for the compliment dear! LOL..glad that you like my recipes & bookmarked them! I love all your crafts & also bookmarked most of them too !! I'm yet to make the vintage pillow case! Love it so much! Will certainly soon when during summer vacation! A bear hug to you too, dear! =)

      Delete
  14. Definitely not your southern sweet potato pie. This one is so much more stunning and I am sure it tastes much better with the haupia topping! I have been wanting to get some purple yams for sometime because I do have a few recipes that use it. This one I am adding to the group-it is very tempting and I sure would have loved that slice. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! I must say that I've searched few Asian grocer before I found the Okinawan sweet potatoes! It was like a treasure hunt! LOl But seriously this cake is really delicious with Haupia! Have a nice day, Tina! =)

      Delete
  15. Wow it's beautiful! Gorgeous photos. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  16. So yummy looking! My mouth is watering! I love Hawaii too! We are taking our kids for the first time at the end of July as long as the Doctor ok's the middle guy to go! We will find out Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You're going to Hawaii! Hopefully your son is better now & the doctor is O;kay for him to enjoy the holiday there! It's a beautiful destination & kids will certainly love it ! =)

      Delete
  17. Hi....thanks for dropping by n wonderful comments on my site...:-) Do drop by anytime ya.. this dessert recipe looks so mouthwatering n very very tempting !!!

    Love d purple, so sweet.. I m bookmarking this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much for dropping by & your kind words. Glad that you like this Haupia pie! Hope to see you again soon! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  18. Oh, that pie looks so pretty - not that I should be surprised at that. The purple sweet potato gives a wonderful colour and the coconut cream sounds divine. Yes please, I'll have a slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette! I would love to share a big slice of this pie with you anytime! have a nice day, dear! =)

      Delete
  19. wow....fabulous pie dear.....awesome job.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faseela dear! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  20. Hi Kit, Your pie gorgeous, so perfectly made! I like the name Haupia Pie, sounds so pretty! And the flowers in your garden is so beautiful! I'll just imagine myself sitting under your beautiful flowers with a piece of pie and a cup of tea and nice breeze passes by! Haha! I think I need a holiday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha....thanks Joyce! Actually I wanted to sit under these Wisteria to eat this pie too but it's too COOL to do that! To bad no window from our house actually facing this lovely Wisteria! Too bad! But love your idea of tea time treat under these fragrant flowers! =)

      Delete
    2. I mean COLD!! heheheh went to fast there! LOL

      Delete
  21. beautiful pie (and flowers) I could just eat the piece of pie on the plate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clairejustine! Love to share this pie with you anytime! Have a lovely day dear! =)

      Delete
  22. What a gorgeous pie, Kit! And the wisteria are breathtaking! I'll have to add Tahiti as a destination on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! Yes, Tahiti is an amazing holiday destination! I love the delicious Polynesian food! Hopefully I'll be going there soon too! =)

      Delete
  23. Your cake looks really great! Never been in Hawaii and never tried their recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweet Life for dropping by & your lovely words! This is a delicious recipe & Haupia is one of the most famous dessert in Hawaii! Do give it a try & let me know! Have a lovely day! =)

      Delete
  24. The purple sweet potato really makes your pie extra lovely and special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Amy for your compliment! It does make the pie looks special huh! I love this mauve color! Have a nice day, Amy! =)

      Delete
  25. This is a beautiful pie with haupia topping and so nice of you to make it for your mom.I am sure she loved it and would be happy to have you as her daughter.
    Kit, there is an award waiting for you at my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Balvinder for your lovely words! Oh Wow! Thank you so much for thinking of me for this Versatile Award! I truly appreciate it & hopping over to your space now! =)

      Delete
  26. your Pie presentation is so pretty, as always. Like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much for your kind words: Glad to see you again! Have a nice day! =)

      Delete
  27. Kit, your cutting skill is really ichiban!No crumbs falling on the edges & the cuts were tidy & neat! You did such a great job though you baked this pie in a deep glass dish!Bravo, bravo!

    I love the colour of the sweet potato! Japanese sweet potatoes taste the best! In here, we could only find the frozen ones in some Japanese grocery shop but they are very expensive! I had few sweet potato cakes when I was in Japan & I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this pie is beautiful! i love the deep purple color from the potatoes and the rose peak icing :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is beautiful, especially the purple - I'm sure your mum loved it!I'm sure your mum loved it! Thanks for entering it into Alphabakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. nice idea.. thanks for posting..

    ReplyDelete