Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jamie Oliver's Honey & Pistachio Cake









Jane Austen moment in Persuasion

Chapter 9
One morning, very soon after the dinner at the Musgroves, at which Anne had not been present, Captain Wentworth walked into the drawing-room at the Cottage, where were only herself and the little invalid Charles, who was lying on the sofa.
The surprise of finding himself almost alone with Anne Elliot, deprived his manners of their usual composure:  he started, and could only say, "I thought the Miss Musgroves had been here:  Mrs Musgrove told me I should find them here," before he walked to the window to recollect himself, and feel how he ought to behave.
"They are up stairs with my sister:  they will be down in a few moments, I dare say," had been Anne's reply, in all the confusion that was natural; and if the child had not called her to come and do something for him, she would have been out of the room the next moment, and released Captain Wentworth as well as herself.
He continued at the window; and after calmly and politely saying, "I hope the little boy is better," was silent.




Honey & Pistachio Cake
Adapted from Jamie Oliver

Ingredients:

For cake
5 eggs
225g Greek yogurt
75g ground almond
1 lemon zest
1 orange zest
150g flour
200g semolina
1 tsp baking powder
200 ml olive oil

Honey & pistachio syrup
100 ml honey
150g pistachio roughly crushed
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 orange juice

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 180°C & grease a square cake pan

2) Combine all ingredients for cake & stir well till all combined. Pour batter in a grease square cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes till golden brown. Let to cool.

3) For topping: Place pistachio & honey in a sauce pan on medium heat. Stir well & remove from heat & add in lemon & orange juice. Stir well till all combined.

4) Poke the cake with a small knife  so that the cake will absorb all the honey topping.  Topped with honey & pistachio syrup. Leave the cake to absorb the syrup for 20 minutes before serve.

30 comments:

  1. Good morning Kit! What a lovely post to start my day. I love Honey Pistachio Cake and yours looks absolutely enticing!!!

    My Butterfly bushes are blooming too. I can't believe they actually grow as weeds in China! I posted a few pictures of them on my blog too. If you get a chance, pop on over!!!

    In the mean while, I'll be dreaming about this cake all day, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    P.S. I have some links I will be emailing you later on today:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, enjoyed your visit - I am a fan of Jamie O as well and I am still counting on his efforts to make school meals healthier for our kids!
    The cake looks tempting!
    Look forward to seeing you on my blog more often -and I will stop by too - cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ! Maybe he's already a Youtube sensation ! lol By the look of that cake , I'm sure it tastes sensational ! Love pistachio and that topping looks really yummy ! DROOL ! ....... I'm all for those hunky Italian guys ! :D

    That butterfly looks gorgeous ! Oh ! Your flowers as well ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jamie Oliver, and your pictures always look georgeous!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks a great cake - I have never put olive oil in cakes before either I am sure it would be very moist. Definitely one to PIN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! That cake looks utterly delicious, with moist and tender crumbs! Great video, and with lovely sounds of birds chirping too! Bookmarking this! Thanks for sharing, and gorgeous flowers! Have a great week, Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just from the looks of that cake, I can tell it must be super moist light and fluffy! this is delicious, esp with that crunchy pistachio topping (I go mad for pistachios!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kit, thank you for your concern. I'm perfectly okay and still in one piece, didn't get crush by the six packs leng chai. LOL
    I was busy with my posting for the past 2 days, I just posted half an hour ago. Drop by when you free but no opps and arhh today. LOL

    Love your pistachios cake, look extremely delicious and the texture look so good. As usual your lovely flowery presentation which I admire so much and loving it. Excellent!

    How I wish I can have a nice cup of coffee with you in your beautiful garden. Looking forward to it, LOL

    Have a nice day, warm regards. With hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kit, wow, this cake looks truly amazing. Olive oil, yoghurt and nuts are just my favourite combo for cakes as its just so much healthier. Will try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos - gorgeous cakes - looks almost like a spongey bakklava!
    Love how you've been so generous with the pistachios

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kit, 200ml of olive oil in a cake?What was he thinking & how come he could come out with such a great recipe?Genius, hahaha! I thought olive oil has a strong smell & not many people can accept the smell of olive oil. Very special recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kit,

    This cake is a beauty! It is fully packed of great flavours and the best ingredients. It is indeed very Jamie Oliver style :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. simply irresistable..
    excellent cliks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty looking cake and so fine! I love fine crumbs cakes! must try this soon! that butterfly looks like a chipmunk!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the pistachio and honey topping sounds good! This sounds like a very nice cake to eat...i want a piece!! for a moment i thought that's a fake butterfly..i see a face of a cat in its wings!!balik kampung lah if you want to see the sun..we have generous amount of sun shining at us everyday!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love this recipe. Perfect for a morning tea break..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake looks absolutely perfect! I love pistachios, but I have yet to make anything with them (they always end up in my mouth somehow. Oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This cake looks lovely and sounds delicious. I made a maple-pumpkin cake last fall with olive oil for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Jamie Oliver's recipes are almost always winners, too! I've really been liking pistachios lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely piece of cake,full of flavour. We have too much of sunshine, can share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kit, this is such a lovely cake. Never tried this combination. I have packs of pistachios (gifted by friends) lying in my kithen cupboard for quite a long time now. The problem is no one in my family loves raw pistachios. This looks like a fantastic way to use up those!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely delicious. Honey and pistachios sound like heaven to me. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is heavenly with that thick layer of pistachio topping!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a yummy cake...I love the idea of trying olive oil! And your flowers are just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know that Jamie has such delicious recipes of cakes. I just know him for his rustic cooking. This is wonderful and you always make your cake look more prettier than actual recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a delicious looking treat. This sounds wonderful and I am sure all who sample it will be delighted. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. This an amazing cake. I love the pistachio that you have added to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Drooling over your cake - great for tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much everyone for your lovely comments. I truly appreciate all the encouraging words! Have a lovely day dear friends! =)

    ReplyDelete