Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mirabelle Plum & Vanilla Whoopie Pie





When I saw the Bake Along challenge this month is all about Whoopie pie , I just recalled that I’ve a Whoopie pie pan that I bought during our vacation in New York last summer . I’ve totally forgotten about it !  Oh my! It’s been a year now that this pan been  hiding in my cupboard!  LOL  Yup, hiding coz I don't recall seeing it THAT often . This will be  great opportunity to try out some whoopie pie recipes & join the challenge .This challenge is hosted by my favourite bloggers -  Joyce of Kitchen flavors,  Lena of Frozen WingsZoe of Bake For HappyKids. A twice a month bloghop challenge







Jane Austen moment in Persuasion

Chapter 10

The walking party had crossed the lane, and were surmounting an opposite stile, and the Admiral was putting his horse in motion again, when Captain Wentworth cleared the hedge in a moment to say something to his sister.  The something might be guessed by its effects.
"Miss Elliot, I am sure you are tired," cried Mrs Croft.  "Do let us have the pleasure of taking you home.  Here is excellent room for three, I assure you.  If we were all like you, I believe we might sit four.  You must, indeed, you must."
Anne was still in the lane; and though instinctively beginning to decline, she was not allowed to proceed.  The Admiral's kind urgency came in support of his wife's; they would not be refused; they compressed themselves into the smallest possible space to leave her a corner, and Captain Wentworth, without saying a word, turned to her, and quietly obliged her to be assisted into the carriage.
Yes; he had done it.  She was in the carriage, and felt that he had placed her there, that his will and his hands had done it, that she owed it to his perception of her fatigue, and his resolution
to give her rest.  She was very much affected by the view of his disposition towards her, which all these things made apparent. This little circumstance seemed the completion of all that had gone before. She understood him.  He could not forgive her, but he could not
be unfeeling.  Though condemning her for the past, and considering it with high and unjust resentment, though perfectly careless of her, and though becoming attached to another, still he could not see her suffer, without the desire of giving her relief.  It was a remainder of former sentiment; it was an impulse of pure, though unacknowledged friendship; it was a proof of his own warm and amiable heart, which she could not contemplate without emotions so compounded of pleasure and pain, that she knew not which prevailed.





Mirabelle Plum & Vanilla  Whoopie Pie
Source of whoopie pie from La Tarte au Formache

Ingredients :

2 eggs
120g  butter (room temperature)                  
150g sugar
350g flour
250ml milk
5g of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla extract

For filling:
500g Mirabelle plums cored
100g brown sugar
100ml water
1 vanilla pod/ bean

Direction:

1)      Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease whoopee pie pan or a baking tray.

2)      Sift flour &  baking powder in a bowl.  Beat butter & sugar till creamy.

3)      Add in vanilla extract & eggs gradually . Beat till well combined.
4)      Fold in flour & alternate with milk & stir till all well incorporated


5)      Using a piping bag or an ice-cream  scoop  to scoop a dollop on whoopee pie pan or baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let to cool.
 
6)      For Vanilla syrup: Bring to a boil water & brown sugar till thicken on medium heat. Remove from heat & add in Mirabelle plum & mix well . Let to cool before  placing them on top of half the little cake.  Add the other half of the little cake on the mirablle & drizzle some vanilla caramel 



Mirabelle plums from our garden



24 comments:

  1. Hi Kit, Your whoopie pies is so cute and very unique! I have not seen a whoopie pie pan before, not even sure I would even know if they are for whoopie pie even if I do see one! LOL!
    Mirabelle plums! I'm so jealous! Looks like I'm so jealous over lots of plants and trees in your beautiful garden! :)
    Your second last pic of your whoopie pie reminds me of a carousel! Hahaha! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... Can't stop laughing reading your comment & Anuja's! hahahaha Ya, I didn't even know whoopie pie pan till I went shopping at Macy NY last year! But I'm not sure it works well with the pan. The cake looks thicker with this pan though. LOL... if you think this look like carousel, wait for my next whoopie pie post that will truly reminds you of that! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Kit,
    Wow I like your "fancy" whoopie pie pan. Actually your pies look like UFO to me :D. Just kidding.
    You've managed to turn this simple pie into something totally glamorous. Never heard of Mirabelle plums before. Looks interesting.
    Dont forget next month's Masterchef blog hop, which m co-hosting with Zoe, and m relying on you to come up with tons of recipes from Masterchef France.
    Lotsa hugs!!
    xoxo
    anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...ya, I must admit it looks totally like UFO! LMAO
      I hesitated to post but thought why not . Let all my friends have a good laugh! I love having fun & joking is my second nature! Thanks for your kind words.
      Ya, I saw that you'll be hosting with Zoe the Masterchef bloghop next month. Happy hosting, Anuja. I already have onerecipe for the event but still waiting to harvest our second batch of raspberries to try out this recipe. You can count on me for the event! Still hunting for recipes even now! LOL

      Delete
  3. awesome....no words superb dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi kit, now i see why you said yours is funny! looks like little mushroom! haha! i'm not too sure about these plums but i know making something from your harvest can be very satisfying ..wow, your husband even made a special request for that! i also hope that when i have time, i can make another batch of whoopie pies again, thanks for joining, kit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kit, wow, this is really a very special Whoopie Pie! I wish I could try this, I am imaging the taste of the plums and vanilla syrup and how its tastes like flower honey! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. carousel and UFO shape indeed LOL
    i never heard about mirabelle plum too, is it crunchy and sweet and juicy? if yes, post to me pls! LOL
    beautiful job done, Kit :)
    going to make mine this coming weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I agreed with the rest of the comments, your whoopie pies do look fancy like a carousel and a mushroom all in one lol! LOVE those plums of yours, I am so green with envious! Having a whole tree all to yourself! How lucky is that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kit... you have the most unique whoopie pie so far! As usual, awesome pictures and post contents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic whoopie pie! This is new to me...would love to try this :-) As usual loved reading the extract Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely not a flop! Delicious and beautiful...YES!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look gorgeous with the mirabelle plums - very creative of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yah, what a beautiful whoopie pie, i love the way u captures and decorate it ... well done . my whoopie pie will b up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tasted Mirabelle plums before but I believe that your freshly grown Mirabelle plums have given your whoopie pies lots of X factors :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore your whoopie pie... LOL .. I simply love your ideas Kit. You have have a very creative ways of presenting your desert ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kit, yoohhooooo...how you doin'? Your whoopie pie look so cute and unique. Love your presentation and the flowers too look so pretty and love the bright color.

    Cannot imagine how many types of flowers in your garden? Every time I see different kind of flowers in every posting. Kit, would love to see your big garden.
    The mirabelle plum wow.... wish I can climb up the tree to pluck leyy....LOL

    Have a nice week ahead, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. plum whoopie pie, nice! Haven't seen green plums b4! Now that you mention whoopie pie pan, I think I've also seen it b4 from a bakery shop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kit , that whoopie pie looks fantastically unique ! Your presentation looks wonderful as always ! And the mirabelle plums sounds like a delicious filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who cares about the shape! I think they look fantastic. I'm so jealous of your mirabelles, we had some wild ones a few roads away but they haven't done anything this year. This is brilliant. Could you send some plums?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look wonderful and they are original which gives them a special cache. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooohhh I've never seen a whoopie pie pan before! It would be so much easier than forming a somewhat circular scoop with tablespoons and definitely more uniform too. Love the look of those plums. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesAugust 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

    I love how the whoppie pie is being presented. Lovely and very special: )

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL... thank you everyone! I truly enjoyed reading all the comments & glad that this post had cheered everyone! It certainly make my day & laughing away! Hahahhaaha Thank you so much again for your honesty & kind words. God bless you all my dear friends; Wish you all a wonderful day =)

    ReplyDelete