Jane Austen moment in Persuasion
While Captains Wentworth and Harville led the talk on one side of the room, and by recurring to former days, supplied anecdotes in abundance to occupy and entertain the others, it fell to Anne's lot to be placed rather apart with Captain Benwick; and a very good impulse of her nature obliged her to begin an acquaintance with him. He was shy, and disposed to abstraction; but the engaging mildness of her countenance, and gentleness of her manners, soon had their effect; and Anne was well repaid the first trouble of exertion. He was evidently a young man of considerable taste in reading, though principally in poetry; and besides the persuasion of having given him at least an evening's indulgence in the discussion of subjects, which his usual companions had probably no concern in, she had the hope of being of real use to him in some suggestions as to the duty and benefit of struggling against affliction, which had naturally grown out of their conversation.
Cherry Coke Cupcakes
Inspired from Brown Eye Baker
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes
¾ cup sugar
½ baking soda
3 tbsp cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
1-1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter ( room temperature)/
½ buttermilk or natural yogurt
1-1/2 Vanilla extract
¾ cup of cherry coke ( never use diet coke)
20 cl liquid cream
2 tbsp of icing sugar.
1) Preheat oven to 180°C & line muffin pan with paper liners.
2) Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder in a bowl & stir well.
3) Beat butter & sugar till light & creamy. Add in egg & beating for another minute.
4) Combine buttermilk or yogurt, Coke & vanilla extract ( Don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled )
5) Combined in 4 parts of flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with Coke mixture. Mix till well incorporated & thoroughly combined.
6) Spoon batter evenly in muffin pans. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes till the tops spring back when touched. Let to cool.
7) Using a pairing knife to cut out a cone shape in the middle of each cupcake. Spoon in cherry jam.
8) For frosting beat liquid cream till foamy , gradually add in icing sugar. Beat till stiff peaks. Pipe whipped cream on cupcakes & topped with sugar coated cherries.
I'm entering this post to Calender Cakes event hosted by Laura of Laura Loves Cakes & co-hosted with Dolly Bakes with this month's theme Cupcakes. YUM!