Jane Austen moment in Persuasion
"Oh! Captain Benwick is very well, I believe, but he is a very odd young man. I do not know what he would be at. We asked him to come home with us for a day or two: Charles undertook to give him some shooting, and he seemed quite delighted, and, for my part, I thought it was all settled; when behold! on Tuesday night, he made a very awkward sort of excuse; `he never shot' and he had `been quite misunderstood,' and he had promised this and he had promised that, and the end of it was, I found, that he did not mean to come. I suppose he was afraid of finding it dull; but upon my word I should have thought we were lively enough at the Cottage for such a heart-broken man as Captain Benwick."
Charles laughed again and said, "Now Mary, you know very well how it really was. It was all your doing," (turning to Anne.) "He fancied that if he went with us, he should find you close by: he fancied everybody to be living in Uppercross; and when he discovered that Lady Russell lived three miles off, his heart failed him, and he had not courage to come. That is the fact, upon my honour, Mary knows it is."
Milky Chocolate Eclair
Choux puff recipe adapted from Marianne Magnier & Olivier Malingue
Ingredients for 10 éclairs
80 ml milk
80 ml water
70 g butter
2 g salt
For milk chocolate ganache
200g milk chocolate - chopped
1 cup whipping cream
50g dark chocolate
1) For choux puffs : Preheat oven to 180°C . In a sauce pan bring to the boil 2 to 3 seconds the milk, water, butter sugar & salt over high heat . Remove from heat & immediately tip in flour & then stir quickly with wooden spoon till smooth texture.
2) Cook again on medium heat for 1 m till the mixture comes away from the side of the pan . Remove from heat & gradually whisk in gradually the eggs one at a time till smooth texture. Let to cool a little .
3) Place mixture into a piping bag with a 1.5 plain nozzle. On a line baking tray , pipe 10 éclairs about 12 cm long & make sure to space them coz they will expand. Bake for 25 to 30 mins till golden brown. Let to cool on wire rack .
4) For milk chocolate ganache : In a sauce pan heat cream & add in chopped milk chocolate & stir till smooth. Keep it aside to cool. When ganache is cooled, whisk it till stiff. Melt dark chocolate on bain marie/ double boiler till smooth. Let to cool a little .
5) Cut éclair in half & pipe free style all over the edge of the éclair leaving space in the center of éclair. Spoon in melted dark chocolate on the center of the éclair . Topped the other half of éclair & pipe free style over it.
Submitting this post to Free & Easy Bake Along hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours & co- hosted with Lena of Frozen Wings & Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids. This month's theme is chocolate éclair.