Monday, January 28, 2013

Mung Bean Biscuits For Chinese New Year









Mung Bean Biscuits
 Adapted from No-Frills Recipes

Ingredients:
200 g mung bean flour
20 g rice flour
40 g flour
80 g icing sugar
65 g nibbed almonds
90 g shortening
Cooking oil if needed when dough is too hard to handle

Directions:

1)      Preheat oven  to 180°C . Lightly heat up mung bean flour & rice flour in a wok on low heat. Place in a mixing bowl & set aside till completely cool.
2)      Sift in flour & icing sugar. Add in almonds & mix well. Fold in shortening & mix till dough resembles bread crumbs. 


3)      Knead the dough a little & press hard into wooden moulds &  knock out the biscuits. Place biscuits  on baking tray  & bake for 25 to 30 mins.  Let to cool . 




I'm submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

Jane Austen moment in persuasion

Chapter 15

They had not a fault to find in him.  He had explained away all the appearance of neglect on his own side.  It had originated in misapprehension entirely.  He had never had an idea of throwing himself off; he had feared that he was thrown off, but knew not why, and delicacy had kept him silent.  Upon the hint of having spoken disrespectfully or carelessly of the family and the family honours, he was quite indignant.  He, who had ever boasted of being an Elliot, and whose feelings, as to connection, were only too strict to suit the unfeudal tone of the present day. He was astonished, indeed, but his character and general conduct must refute it.  He could refer Sir Walter to all who knew him; and certainly, the pains he had been taking on this, the first opportunity of reconciliation, to be restored to the footing of a relation and heir-presumptive, was a strong proof of his opinions on the subject.



I've even made some Green Pea cookies also adapted from Cheah of No - Frills Recipes . These cookies are very addictive & really yummy. Just can't stop eating all these cookies ! For recipe HERE



27 comments:

  1. Those look sooo good and the mold is really cool and ornate! I love it, thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cute CHY treat!! Thanks Kit for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit, love love love your fish cookies!And the antique basket, haha!I also have a fish recipe to participate but only fish jelly, want to exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Those little fishes are so pretty! Really good to serve for CNY. I love the the green pea cookies too! Just posted mine yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful!!!Love the little fishes and your mold LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kit, love your little fishes, they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kit, I love those "swimming" goldfish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really beautiful Kit. I am planning to start making some CNY cookies this week.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cookies, Kit! If I have a wish, I would love to have more TIME too before CNY! LOL! Your fish-shaped cookies looks wonderful, and it definitely spells out CNY!
    I have been busy too with some cookies baking for families and friends, did not even have time for my other bakes!
    Much as I'm looking forward for CNY, I can't help wishing it to be over as soon as possible! hahaha, I wonder if anyone else is feeling like I do!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the link, Kit. Really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of your fish shaped cookies, bet the kids would love them too! I must find some time to start baking some cookies! I am so late!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great fish mould would love one of those. Great biscuits too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kit, I love these cute fish cookies!!!Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kit, I've never seen biscuits like these! They're stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kit, I have this goldfish mould which I used for my mooncakes. Thanks for sharing the idea. Will try next time. Very nice and unusual shaped cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoever knew little fishies could look so delightful!

    Thanks for sharing, Kit...

    BTW I stumbled upon a Jane Austen Celebration today that you might enjoy. Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kit , those biscuits look wonderful and delicious ! Just love the fish shapes . Great CNY goodies indeed :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kit,
    I love, love, love your gold fish cookies!
    They looks so lively and pretty.
    I am busy too making CNY cookies so I am so late here to visit you:p
    Can I use my Siew Pau to exchange some if your golden fish cookies? LOL
    mui


    ReplyDelete
  19. These are a stunner! Love the fish mould.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cookies look so beautiful with this fish mould. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh - your fish-shaped mung bean biscuits are so gorgeous!
    Happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  22. happy chinese new year kit! looks gorgeous ! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, sorry for the late comment. Do you have recipe without mung bean flour, using rice flour instead? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen , Thanks for dropping by my blog . This is the 1st time I've baked this cookies & I'm not sure you can replace it with rice flour . But you can hop over to Cheah from No - Frill Recipes here --> http://cheah2009.blogspot.fr/2010/01/mung-bean-biscuits-aka-luk-tau-paeng.html . I'm sure she'll be able answer your question as I've adapted this recipe from her blog. Have a nice day

      Delete