Mocha & Kahlua Tres Leches Cake
Adapted from The Frugal Chef
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened coco powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
5 eggs separated ( room temperature )
1 cup of sugar ( I only added ½ cup)
1/3 whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp Kahlua
20 cm cake pan
1 cup double cream or whipping cream
414 ml sweetened condensed milk
230 ml evaporated milk
1 tbsp instant coffee ( I’ve added espresso)
For Cream Topping
1 ½ cup double cream
¼ cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder + some for topping
1) Preheat oven to 180°C & greased cake pan (lined with parchment paper) Sift flour together with baking powder, cocoa powder & salt .
2) Beat egg yolks for 2 minutes till creamy . Pour in milk , Kahlua with vanilla & mix well for 1 minute . Set aside .
3) In a large bowl beat egg white till frothy & add in ¼ cup sugar. Beat egg whites till soft peak form & set aside .
4) Whisk 1/3 of flour mixture to egg yolks . Mix well & add in 1/3 of egg whites . Repeat & stir till well combined . Pour batter into cake pan & bake for15 to 20 mins. Let to cool .
5) For Milk Mixture : Place all ingredients in a sauce pan & whisk till coffee dissolves . (do not boil the milks) . Remove from heat & let to cool .
6) Make small holes on the whole cake with a skewer . Slowly ladle in the milk mixture & wait till cake absorb milk mixture between each ladle full. Add in all milk & don’t worry about it gets too liquidity . The cake will absorb it all . Cover the cake & refrigerate it for at least 6 hours or overnight .
7) For Cream Topping : Whisk cream till fluffy & add in sugar, cocoa powder & vanilla . Beat till stiff peaks . Spread cream mixture on cake & sprinkle some cocoa powder over it & serve .
Submitting this post to Bake Along event hosted by Joyceof Kitchen Flavours & co hosting with Lena Of Frozen Wings together with Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids . This month’s theme was Tres Leches Cake & was selected by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids .