Thursday, August 1, 2013

Chocolate Olive Oil Cake (Nigella Lawson)







 Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Adpated from Nigella . com

Ingrdients :
150 ml regular (mild)  olive oil
50 gram cocoa powder ( good quality & sifted)
125 ml boiling water
2 tsp vanilla extract
150 ground almond ( or 125g flour)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 g sugar
3 eggs
A 22 or 23 cm springform cake pan

Directions:
1)      Preheat oven to 170°C  & grease springform cake pan with olive . Line the base with baking paper . 
2)      Add sifted cocoa powder in a jug & whisk in boiling water till smooth paste . Beat in vanilla extract till combine & set aside .
3)      Combine ground almond , bicarbonate of soda & a pinch of salt in a bowl . 



4)      Using a mixer & beat vigorously sugar, olive oil & eggs for about 3 minutes till pale thicken cream .  Turn the speed down a little & pour in cocoa mixture . Continue beating & add in the dry ingredients . mix till well combined .  Pour in greased pan & bake 40 to 45 minutes till sides slightly coming away & the center is set .  Topped with powdered sugar .




 

Linking thos post to Cook Like A Star event & this month’s featured chef is Nigella Lawson .  This event is hosted by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids with  Joyce  from Kitchen Flavours  together with  Anuja from Simple Baking 



Submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up event hosted this month by Yen from Eat Your Heart Out
This event is organized by  Zoe from Bake For Happy KidsDoreen Of  My Little D. I Y . This month's theme is EGG



24 comments:

  1. I love Nigella too - so unfortunate the bad press at the moment. Although the sooner she gets rid of Charlie the better. Haven't made this cake but it is now on my list - looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure most of us know Nigella but surprising I think I have not make any of her recipes before. I should try one day and I know her recipes never fails to impress all. Are you having this chocolate oil cake in your picnic time? Hehhe.....it was shot in grass land.....it look beautiful with greenery grass surrounding this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit, this cake looks very moist, from reading your description I guess its texture is somewhat like brownies too? Btw you can also enter this in LTU :) It can be bakes or anything containing eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen, Not really like brownie. It's more dense than brownies & moist texture to it . Great with some vanilla ice-cream too. Oh! That will be great that I can enter this post in LTU too . Thanks ! = )

      Delete
  4. This chocolate cake looks delicious. It looks so dense and chocolatey, just the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having such fun exploring all these Nigella recipes. This recipe for Chocolate Olive Oil Cake may just jump to the top of the list because I am in such need of Chocolate Cake I can almost taste it! And yours looks simply heavenly:)

    Thank you so much for sharing this "almost" healthy recipe, Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kit,
    The cake looks so moist and chocolaty good! Since this is made with olive oil, I guess this cake is even great eaten cold right out of the fridge.
    I like both your cake stand and the serving plate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks super moist, almost fudgy texture. Irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kit, I tried this recipe too and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At 318 calories if divide into 10 portions I think it's worth it! Drooling here...so moist and I love cakes baked with almond meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kit, this is interesting. A cake baked using olive oil, a first time for me! Looks so chocolaty and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow how moist and chocolaty your cake looks! M sure it must have tasted heavenly too. As always the flowers are beautifully complementing your bake :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge fan of Nigella too...this cake looks yum...I have seen the video where she makes this cakes so many times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, can see how moist the chocolate cake is with the use of the olive oil. I feel like having one now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kit, this cake look lovely. The texture look so moist and nice. Very elegant presentation. Wonderful click!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll check out Nigella's recipes tomorrow , so far all of her recipes featured in Cook like a Star look delicious :D .... Chocolate and olive oil combo sounds fantastic - the texture looks moist and chocolaty , yum !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi kit, this is great recipe. Now, I can make a chocolate cake for my friend who doesn't take butter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kit, I made this cake and it really is amazing isn't it! I love your photography here - it makes it look like the perfect cake for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kit, I do see this recipe of hers using olive oil and I went like, errr..olive oil? I wonder how that would taste. Now seeing that you've done it and giving thumbs up, I might just give this a try..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried many of Nigella's chocolate cakes, but not this one. I really like the texture of almond cakes but not tried adding water to one. Your photos look good as always Kit. Must bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i cant even remember if i hv baked a cake before using olive oil instead of butter..and i can see how moist the cake is..and rich chocolatey flavour? oh yum !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kit,

    I love to bookmark this gluten free chocolate cake recipe to bake this for my celiac friend. This cake looks wonderfully moist and chocolaty.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Always wonder how an olive oil cake will taste like. I guess it is time for me to join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hhmmm I guess this is worth trying!

    ReplyDelete