Monday, August 5, 2013

Makrout (Ramadan special)









Makrout
Adapted from Délice d’orient
Ingredients:

For the dough
100g fine semolina
200g super fine semolina
100g melted butter
2 Tbsp oil
100g water ( I’ve added orange blossom water )
A pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Honey for coating

For the date paste filling
100g dates paste
1 tsp butter
1 Tbsp honey
A pinch of cinnamon ( I’ve added 1 tsp)

Directions:
1)      Combine both semolina & salt, stir well . Make a well & pour in melted butter & oil . Mix well till semolina absorb all the oil & butter . Add in water( orange blossom water) & gather (no kneading) all till form a dough . Place in a greased bowl & cover it. Place in the refrigerator for 30 min. 
2)      For the date filling :  Combine all the ingredients till form a smooth dough .  Sprinkle a little corn starch on working top & roll the date filling into a small log . Set aside .
3)      Remove dough from refrigerator & roll it on a lightly floured  surface till log shape . Roll it to the appropriate size of the date filling .  Using your finger & press the center of the log & topped with date filling log .  



4)   Gather both edges by pressing them together with your finger as shown in the picture .  Roll it again till smooth . .


5) Cut it in to squares & stamp  (I’ve used knife) them .  Deep fried the makrout till golden brown & coat them with honey 




Thanks again to  my dear sister for this lovely plate that she made . She might not blog as often  as before becoz she's been  busy persuing her dream making lovely clay & painting . A sneak peek...  HERE .


 

15 comments:

  1. These look very interesting. I have semolina and dried dates at the moment - worth an experiment I think. Will let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep-fried cookies coated with honey? They look so sinful but I'm sure they are delicious! I think I need to start exercising more so I have more excuse to eat more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dates filling of these cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kit, that's a very addictive cookies. I'm sure it taste heavenly. The design is very cute and pretty. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Love the flowers from your garden, so elegant and gorgeous.

    Have a lovely week ahead,regards. With hugs and lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will love these as I love dates very much:) I was admiring your bowl too, very unique and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow that is a really pretty plate indeed. One of a kind too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, great recipe :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kit,
    This is something new to me! But it sounds good with the date filling! A cup of tea does sound wonderful with these sweet cookies! Your sister is very creative and talented! Hopping over for a sneak peek now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never come across this but the date paste filling sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound delicious, I like how they look too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the dates, so I am sure I would love these cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exotic and yummy treat ! The date paste sounds wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  13. dates paste filling - I Like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi kit, This yummy cookie looks so pretty. I really love the orange colour and the date paste sounds so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete