Submitting this post to Bake Along event hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours & Lena of Frozen Wings together with Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids . This month's theme is Hokkaido Milk Bread .
Hokkaido Milk Bread with Wild Strawberry Jam
Adapted from HERE
For Tangzhong: (Click HERE for how to make Tangzhong method & use only HALF of the tangzhong)
2 1/2 cups Flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp powdered milk
2 tsp instant dried yeast
1/2 cup milk ( more if needed)
1/8 cup cream
25 g butter (room temperature & cut into small pieces)
Wild Strawberry jam (Bonne Maman)
1) In a food processor , combine flour, salt, sugar powdered milk & yeast .
2) In a nother small bowl , combine cream, milk, Tangzhong till smooth . Add into flour mixture & mix all together on slow speed till dough comes together .
3) Add in pieces of butter & mix till smooth with elastic dough which is just short & sticky . Knead with machine or by hand till fsoft & elastic . If the dough is firm & not soft to touch , add few teaspoon of milk & knead till soft . ( I've kneaded with hand for 20 minutes) . You should be able to stretch the dough without breaking right away . And when it break , the break should be form & circle . Form the dough in a ball & place in a big greased bowl , cover with teatowel & let to proof in a warm place preferable 28°C for 45 minutes till double in size .
4) Deflate the dough & place it on a floured worktop . Divide into 6 equal portions & roll each dough in oval . Take one end of the dough from the shorter side of the oval & fold it to the middle of the oval . Take the other end & fold so it's slightly overlaps the other fold . Roll this folded dough with a rolling pin so the unfolded edges are stretched out to form a rectangle ( For full tutorial HERE ).
5) Spread strawberry jam on it & roll the rectangle frol one short edge to the other & seal well by pinching the dough . Cover with tea towel & proof for another 45 minutes in room temperature till double in size . Brush with egg wash & bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 20 to 30 minutes till golden brown & let to cool for 5 minutes on wire rack .
This is my very 1st time using Tangzhong method to make bread & I'm pleased with the result . Lovely soft & fluffy bread that I've added some Bonne Maman's wild strawberry jam . YUMMY !