Saturday, September 14, 2013

Shanghai Mooncake



This is my 1st attempt making baked mooncake & this recipe is  from one of my favorite blog –No-Frills Recipes .  I’ve never had this Shanghai mooncakes before & making them from scratch was really a great experience  . I’ve bought some salted eggs from the Asian store & made red bean paste from scratch too  .  No special mooncake mould is  required for this mooncake  , that’s what I like about it . Love the flaky pastry with nice sweet filling  ! YUM!  Thanks to Cheah from No- Frills Recipes for sharing this delicious Mid- Autumn Festival goodies .  For more  of Cheah’s lovely mooncakes…  HERE




Shanghai Mooncake
Adapted from No- Frills Recipes 
Red bean paste recipe from Tastehongkong

Ingredients:

For Pastry Skin:
300g flour
40g custard powder
1 tsp baking powder
80g icing sugar
75g shortening
1 egg lightly beaten
75g butter / margarine
¼ tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extarct
Pumpkin seeds
Cloves
¼ tsp sesame oil

For the Filling :
1 kg red bean paste ( recipe here)
 6 Salted egg yolks (Optinal)

For egg glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
 A pinch of salt

Directions :

1)      Sift flour with  baking powder, custard powder & salt into mixing bowl .
2)      Sift in icing sugar to flour mixture .
3)      Cut in shortening & butter/ margarine & rub in till resembles bread crumbs . 
4)      Make a well in the center & add in beaten egg , combine into soft dough but do NOT knead . Let it rest for 30 minutes .
5)      Wash salted egg yolks , add in sesame oil, roll into egg yolks, steam for about 2 minutes . Set aside to cool. 
6)      Divide red bean paste into 90g each, roll onto balls . If egg yolk is to be added, reduce to 80g each, wrap it in the center of the red bean paste ball . 
7)      Divide the dough into portions of 60g each , roll into balls . 



8)      Place the dough into a plastic bag, roll into flat disk, cut open the plastic bag , wrap a piece of filling in the center , & shape into a dome . arrange them on greased pan or baking tray . 
9)      Decorate with pumpkin seeds & cloves & bake in preheat oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes .  Take them out of the oven & let to rest for 5 minutes . 
10)   Brush them with egg glaze & return back to the oven & bake for another 25 to 30 minutes till golden brown






15 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kit! You did a wonderful job creating these Mooncakes. I've been wanting to try my hand at mooncakes for years. Perhaps, one day:) I love visiting Cheah's blog. I'm going to hop on over and check out the other recipes.

    I only wish I could have a nibble of your mooncake before I go:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mooncakes are adorables, look beauty and yum Kit!
    Kit you dont have Pinterest?, you have amazing pictures!! I will add a picture of these in my pinterest! are beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit, your Shanghai mooncake looks pretty. Love the egg yolk inside the filling, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kit. Salute to you who made the filling from the scratch! And I bet they taste extra extra tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual...awesomeness...and perfect for the mooncake festival ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautifully done! I love Cheah's mooncakes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSeptember 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

    Hi Kit, wow this is so tempting. May I have one, pls?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kit! These look so pretty! Do you accept online order? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi kit, I don't eat mooncakes and I think these look yummy. Love all your pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the link, Kit. Really glad that you like my recipe. Great clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These mooncakes look fantastic! Love the bean filling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kit,
    Your mooncakes looks wonderful! Wish we could have tea together with a plate of your mooncakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious! i made these before using cheah's recipe too but without red bean paste! they look lovely, kit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't had Shanghai mooncakes yet :P Your first attempt for sure looks perfect !

    ReplyDelete