This is a traditional Chinese New Year goodies originating from Guangdong Provice , China . This sweet deep fried dumplings are filled with roasted peanuts , sesame seeds & shredded coconut . They are commonly served during the Lunar New Year in Cantonese speaking regions & communities including Hong Kong . This post is speacily dedicated to my dad who is cantonese . It's the 1st time that I've made these dumplings & I'm really glad that they turned out great & tasty .
Submitting this post to Bake Along event organized by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours together with Lena of Frozen Wings & Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids . This month’s theme is Chinese New Year Cookies
Crispy Dumpling – Yau gok zai
Adapted from Yin’s Homemade
600g cake flour
120g magarine / butter or lard (I used butter)
120g cold water
2 large eggs
300g chopped peanuts (roasted & skinned)
80g roasted sesame seeds
20g shredded coconut
Oil for deep frying
1) To make the pastry : Combine flour, butter , eggs & water in food processor till becomes a soft dough . Cover with tea towel & set aside for 30 minutes .
2) For the filling : Mix all the ingredients till well combined .
3) Roll out pastry or use a pasta machine into thin sheet & use a round cookie cutter to cut into 2 inches round
4) Spoon 1 tsp of filling in the center of the cut pastry . Wrap up filling by pinching the edges neatly . Make sure it’s well sealed .
5) Heat oil to 170°C & deep fry pastry puffs on medium heat till golden brown . Let to cool wire rack .