Saturday, January 25, 2014

Crispy Dumpling – Yau Gok Zai







This is a  traditional Chinese New Year goodies originating from Guangdong Provice , China .  This sweet deep fried dumplings are filled with roasted peanuts , sesame seeds & shredded coconut . They are commonly served during the Lunar New Year in Cantonese speaking regions & communities  including Hong Kong . This post is speacily dedicated to my dad who is cantonese  .  It's the 1st time that I've made these dumplings & I'm really glad that they turned out great & tasty .




Submitting this post to Bake Along event organized by  Joyce of Kitchen Flavours together with  Lena of Frozen Wings &  Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids . This month’s theme is  Chinese New Year Cookies




Crispy Dumpling – Yau gok zai
Adapted from Yin’s Homemade

Ingredients:
Pastry
600g cake flour
120g magarine / butter or lard (I used butter)
120g cold water
2 large eggs

Filling
300g chopped peanuts (roasted & skinned)
80g roasted sesame seeds
20g shredded coconut
200g sugar
Oil for deep frying

Method:

1) To make the pastry : Combine flour, butter , eggs & water in food processor till becomes a soft dough .  Cover with tea towel   & set aside  for 30 minutes .

2) For the filling : Mix all the ingredients till well combined .

3) Roll out pastry or use a pasta machine into thin sheet & use a round cookie cutter to cut into 2 inches round 




4) Spoon 1 tsp of filling in the center of the cut pastry . Wrap up filling by pinching the edges neatly . Make sure it’s well sealed .

5) Heat  oil to 170°C & deep fry pastry puffs on medium heat till golden brown .  Let to cool wire rack .





7 comments:

  1. I bet this must be good, full of aroma and crunchy; another delicacies for CNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my grandma used to make this gok zai for the CNY when I was a small girl. Love it to bits, love the crunch, so yummy!
    Wishes you a Happy and Prosperous Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely perfect and sound delicious! Be sure to stop by my link pary, Om Nom Nom Friday (Even though it's Sunday) and share your delicious creation :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kit,
    I have not eaten gok zai for ages and ages! My grandmother used to bring a jar when she visits us during CNY. I don't think she made them, and I'm too young to ask! Haha! The ones she bought are with peanut filling, so crispy and fragrant. Have not tried with coconut before. Did not even know about this Cantonese version until now! Wish I could have some to try!
    Thanks for linking!
    Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kit,

    I remember eating lots of these when I was little. These can take a lot of time to wrap and fry. Great effort!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. bravo you made this! i wished i could make these too someday ..like joyce i also didnt know that this is the cantonese version, the normal ones we have there usually do not contain coconut...yours looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi kit, I really love this and can't stop eating it. Yours look so pretty and cute. I suppose to make this for CNY but not enough time, will make this during weekend when I got nothing to play in the kitchen. LOL

    Hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete