Monday, January 27, 2014

Honey Kumquat Shortcakes


I saw this  short pastry recipe at Ann's blog  just a couple of weeks & I can't wait to give it a try with some of my homemade honey kumquat filling  . Love the honey short pastry which was not overly sweet with soft crumbly texture . Pairs perfectly with honey kumquat filling . This pastry is very easy to handle &   I've tried it on mooncake mould . As you can see it works perfectly . In chinese 'Gum' means 'gold'  & so kumquat fruit symbolizes fortune & wealth . Should I name this cake, 'Gum Cake' ?  LOL Do hop over to Ann of Anncoo Journal for more inspiring recipes & beautiful pictures . Awesome blog




Submitting this post to Bake Along event organized by  Joyce of Kitchen Flavours together with  Lena of Frozen Wings &  Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids . This month’s theme is  Chinese New Year Cookies




Honey Kumquat Shortcake
Pastry recipe from Anncoo Journal
Kumquat filling inspired from No Recipes .com

Ingredients yields 10
Kumquat filling : (Prepare one day ahead)
400g Kumquat ( after halved & remove the seeds)
 1/2 cup Honey(or 300g sugar) (to taste)
150ml Water

Pastry :
125 g cold butter - cut to cubes
½  tbsp honey
15 g icing sugar - sifted
2 egg yolks
190g flour – sifted
30g milk powder –sifted

Method :
1)      For honey kumquat filling (prepare 1 day in advance) : Wash kumquat & halved .  Cut into quarters or eights & place them in sauce pan .  Add in honey (or sugar) & water  . On medium heat let it simmer  till the skins turn translucent ( 10 to 15 mins ) Remove from sauce pan & blend / mix it in food processor till puree . Pour the puree back into sauce pan & cook till the filling thickens (about 5 mins ) .  Stir once every now & then .  Let to cool before placing it in the refrigerator . 


2) Preheat oven to 165 °C & line baking tray with parchment paper .

3) For pastry : Beat at medium speed butter, honey & icing sugar till fluffy & pale  . On low speed , beat in egg yolk , one at a time till combine .
Add in sifted flour & milk powder . Beat till just combined ( do not over mix)  & knead to form smooth dough .



4) Divide dough into small portion balls ( about 35g each ) , flattened dough & wrap with kumquat filling ( 15g each ) . Insert the wrap dough into cookie mould (I've used 5x5cm square cookie mould) & press out onto  lined baking tray . Bake for 15 to 20 mins till slightly golden brown 



Wishing everyone Gong Hey Fatt Choy . May the New Year bring you Good Health & Fortune

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kit,

    I wanted to try this pastry recipe too but I'm running out of time for this CNY... Seeing yours, I'm double convinced... Nevermind, next year! *Sign*

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumquats are something I don't eat very often, but this is such a lovely recipe and use for them. I'm never quite sure what to do with them, but I know I would love these shortcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this taste awesomely yummy with the kumquat filling. And love the buttery crust as it melt into the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These shortcakes look great! I love the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good idea to use mooncake mould:D looks yummy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also made some kumquat jam, I really like the fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kit,
    Honey kumquat already makes me drooling! Sounds good as a filling in shortcakes!
    You have been busy, baking lots of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kit! Dropping by to let some 'kam' brush on me :)) Very lovely shortcakes you have there, i intended to make some of this but didn't get to it. Here's wishing you and your family Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kit!
    Welcome back! Boy did I miss your delicious posts!!! I just had to pin this one for keeps, lol...

    I don't think I have ever baked with kumquats before. I really should, I think Marion would enjoy them especially tucked inside such goodness. Thank you so much for sharing, Kit...

    P.S. If I try to click through your link from my comment section, I get this message: The Blogger Profile you requested cannot be displayed. Many Blogger users have not yet elected to publicly share their Profile. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. I never did before. Thank goodness I have your link in my sidebar otherwise I wouldn't be able to visit. That one works fine. You might want to check around and see. It may be just me or, blogger, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kit! I want to eat your shortcakes hah! hah! Wishing you and your family Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey kit, not bad using mooncake mould to make these shortcakes...kamquat filling is delicious! thx for linking all your cookies posts with us, gong xi fa cai!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Kit! The Honey Kumquat Shortcakes looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kit, your honey kum quat shortcakes looks so beautiful and yummy. Here's Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and may you gallop into a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my dear Kit, your kumquat shortcake look so pretty and delightful. Love the colour, so sweet. Well done!

    Kong Hei Fatt Choy to you and family. May the horse year bring you abundance of joy, happiness and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola Kit sus galletas son irresistible muy original me gustarìa tener sus moldes,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete