Saturday, March 29, 2014

Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake (Donna Hay)



It's  time that I indulge myself with a decadent chocolate cake but not overly rich cake though .  Came across this recipe on Donna Hay.com . Looks good & quite straight forward with a cocoa cake base & a light chocolate mouse filling .   I've made the full recipe & also adding in some fresh cherries . Chocolate & cherry pair well together & it does enchance the taste of the chocolate  (in my mind) . Not forgertting the lovely red color that gaves the cake a beautiful contrast .  I've reduced the sugar for the cake so that it will not be too overly sweet . And I've also refrigerate it overnight (I reckon) . Overrall this is a dacadent mouse cake that can be perfectly served as dessert as well . The ideal  self indulgence treat




  Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake (Donna Hay)
Adapted from Donna Hay.com

Ingredients:
120g ground almond
270g icing sugar (sifted) ( I've added 200g )
75g all-purpose flour (sifted)
25g cocoa (sifted)
½ tsp baking powder (sifted)
5 egg whites
200g melted butter
100g cherries

Chocolate mousse filling
400g dark chocolate (chopped)
100g -70percent dark chocolate + (chopped)
1 vanilla bean, split & seeds scraped
500 ml single (pouring) cream (whipped)

Method:

1)      Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF) & greased 22cm round springform cake tin or lined with non-stick baking paper.

2)      Combine almond meal, icing sugar, flour, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl & stir well . 

3)      Add the egg whites and butter and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into greased cake tin. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until cake is springy to touch and comes away from the sides of the tin. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, use a serrated knife to trim the top off the cake. Line the tin with plastic wrap. Place the cake in the base of the tin. Set aside.



     4)    To make the chocolate mousse filling :  melt  chopped chocolate and vanilla seeds in a double boiler & stir until  smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. Fold the chocolate mixture through the cream until well combined. Spoon half the mousse over the cake base & add in cherries . Spoon in the rest of the mousse mixture & spread evenly . Refrigerate for at least 2 hours . Carefully remove the tin and plastic wrap & topped with fresh cherries .+







18 comments:

  1. I love Donna Hay's recipes and this cherry mousse cake looks so pretty! Will definitely try this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this looks so tempting! Would love to have a bite of your beautiful dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely looking cakes:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't hat just the most enticing picture with all the glorious red cherries? I hope this fulfilled your cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kit, this cake is gorgeous! I have bookmarked it to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa.. A superb dessert with such contrasting colors. I bet it taste as wonderful as it looks.. Sedap nya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kit,
    Wow, this is the indulgent treat! Especially with the addition of fresh cherries! From your garden? If they are, I'm green with envy, even if they are not, I'm green with envy too! Fresh cherries are VERY expensive over here! Hehehe!
    Beautiful roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chocolate and cherry combination. Your cake looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kit,

    I can see your are very generous with the amount of cherries that you add and served in this cherry-loaded chocolate cake. I like!

    Btw, I really appreciate what you wrote about ayam kecap manis. Happy to hear that you and your boys like this chicken dish. They are very easy to cook and very delicious to eat! Cheers!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kit, your Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake looks beautiful and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kit, I have been away from blogging for a while when you are back to blogging, haha. This is my 3d year of blogging & I can see myself slowing down so much compares to previous years. Back to this cake, this is a beautiful Chocolate Mousse Cake, well decorated with fresh cherries. I like Donna Hay's recipes, find that never fail b4.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kit , the cherries alone makes me sigh lol Your cake looks terrific and so delish ! Those cherries are from your garden ?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A 500-gram chocolate mousse...wow..it must be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake is just what the doctor ordered, Kit. Not really but, I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days and I'm sure a decadent chocolate dessert would spruce me right up! Thanks for sharing, Kit...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi kit, how you doing? Love your cherry mousse cake so much... very very delightful. Send a huge slice to my place, please.:)) Thanks for sharing the lovely recipe.

    With lots of love and hugs to you. Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Donna Hay and this is a beautiful cake - chocolate and cherries the perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is indeed a heavenly cake Kit. You had done up such a pretty lovely choc mousse cake w plenty cherries:)

    ReplyDelete