My very 1st time baking this Easter classic - Hot Cross Bun . Tasty spiced sticky soft buns best eaten on the day they're made . I love the flavour of orange peels in this buns that makes them so festive . YUM
Linking this post Cook Like A Star , All Star Anniversary organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids with Joyce of Kitchen Flavours & Mich from Piece Of Cake
Hot Cross Buns
Adapted from Deila online .com
150 ml warm water
50g sugar + 1tsp
1 tbsp dried yeast
450g flour ( I've used bread flour)
1 tsp salt
1tsp mixed spice
50g cut mixed peels ( I used orange peels)
40-55 ml warmed milk
50g melted butter
For the cross
5-6 tbsp water
For the glaze:
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp water
1) Stir 1 tsp sugar with warm water & sprinkle in yeast . Leave it for 10 mins or till a good frothy 'beer' head forms.
2) Sift the flour, salt and mixed spice into a mixing bowl and add the remaining sugar, the currants and mixed peel. Then make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast mixture plus 40 ml of warm milk , the beaten egg and the melted butter. Mix it to a dough, starting with a wooden spoon and finishing with your hands (add a spot more milk if it needs it)
3) Transfer the dough on to a clean surface and knead it until it feels smooth and elastic – about 6 minutes. Now pop it back into the bowl, cover the bowl with a lightly oiled plastic bag, and leave it in a warm place to rise about an hour to double its original size. Then turn it out and knead it again, back down to its original size.
4) Pre-heat the oven to 220°C . Divide the mixture into 12 round portions (about 80 - 90g each) , arrange them on the greased baking sheet (allowing plenty of room for expansion), and make a deep cross on each one with a sharp knife. Leave them to rise once more, covering again with the oiled polythene bag, for about 25 minutes. For the cross : in a small bowl add in flour & gradually add in 5 to 6 tbsp water . Mixing in each adition to make a thick paste . Spoon this mixture in a piping bag & pipe across on each bun . Bake the buns for 15 mins till golden brown .
5) For the glaze : Melt the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water for the glaze over a gentle heat and brush the buns with it as soon as they come out of the oven, to make them nice and sticky