Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Plum Blossom




I've adapted this recipe from Alan Ooi's cookbook - Mooncake Sonata but not sure if this pastry is considered as mooncake or not . Anyway , we love this flaky cake with homemade red bean filling . I really enjoyed making this mini floral pastries . Hopefully I've more time to make some mooncakes for the Mid- Autumn Festival which falls on September 8th this year .



Submitting this post to Cook -Your -Book # 15 organized by Kitchen Flavours . I’m also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organized by Bake For Happy Kids & My Little Favourite D I Y . This month’s host is Domestic Goddess Wannabe & her theme is FLOUR .   I’ll be hosting next month’s Little Thumbs Up event & my theme is APPLE .  So do join in the fun & share some of your favourite apple recipes with us .




 Plum Bossom Mooncake
Red bean filling adapted from My Style Of Recipes

Indgredients :
(A) Water Dough
160g flour
25g icing sugar
50g magarine
75 ml water

(B) Oil Dough
110g flour
70g shortening

(Filling) 300g red bean paste (recipe HERE
1 egg yolk( for glazing)
Some black sesame

 Method:

1)      Water Dough : Mix ingredients A till well combined . Set aside for 10 mins. Then divide the dough into 10 portions about 30g each & form into balls.

2)      Oil Dough : Mix indredients B  till well combined . Divide the dough into 10 portions about 18g each & form into balls.





3)      Flatten the water dough & place oil dough in the center . Wrap both dough together to form into ball . Using a rolling pin, roll the dough flat & then roll it up like Swiss Roll . Repeat for the rest of the dough .




4)      Then  roll flat again with a rolling pin & roll back up again to form Swiss Roll . Set aside for 10 mins
 .



5)      With a rolling pin, roll flat a portion of dough & wrap red bean paste filling (30g / portion ) Seal the dough by pinching the it securely . Form it into a ball & flatten it  . Cut 5 to 6 ‘petal’ on the dough with scissor & draw a line at each petal with a plastic knife . Brush on egg yolk & sprinkle with some black sesame seeds as shown .  Bake in preheated oven at 190°C for 20 mins or till golden brown .










11 comments:

  1. Hi Kit,

    Your plum blossom mooncakes look very pretty! Just like the blooming blossom here at Melbourne!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kit, these flora mooncakes are so lovely. Thanks for sharing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit, These plum blossom look very pretty! I love the flaky pastry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kit
    These flowers are sure to impress to those who is lucky to taste it! Looks so pretty and sure I am going to try this out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kit,
    Such pretty mooncakes! These are so perfect for afternoon tea!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kit... very pretty plum blossom you have gotten here.. I do have Alan Ooi's Mooncake Sonata, and I am so loving his recipes.. so far 3 mooncakes recipes that I had tried, were very good... And I bet this Plum Blossom Mooncake is too... yummy^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kit, I love your pretty mooncakes! I love any flower shapes hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This flaky pastry looks so cute. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kit!! I love these!!! I have book marked them to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kit , I can't read your text clearly , it's white maybe black is much better ? :D Anyway , just love these plum blossom ! You've made it beautifully !

    ReplyDelete
  11. These looks so pretty, I have done all my mooncakes baking for this year..I'll pin it for future reference:)

    ReplyDelete