Beigli or Poppy Seed Roll is a traditional Hunagarian festive goodie usually eaten on Christmas . This is a sweet yeasted bread with tasty filling such a honey, poppy seeds , raisins or nuts . Very different from the usual Christmas bread with dried fruits & spices . Lovely soft & sweet bread for Christmas morning that goes great a cup of tea or coffee .
Hungarian Poppy Seed Roll
Recipe adapted from The Hungarian Girl .com
250 ml warm water
2 packages of active dry yeast (16 g)
115 g melted butter
115 g sugar
3 eggs - room temperature
1 Tsp salt
470 g unbleaches all-purpose flour , plus extra for kneading
Poppy Seed Filling
120 ml milk
250 g poppy seeds - ground
60 g raisins
1 tsp organic lemon zest
5 Tbsp honey
1 egg + 1 tsp milk for eggwash
Powdered / icing sugar for dusting ( optional)
1) In a bowl , dissolve yeast in warm water til foarmy , about 5 mins .
2) In large bowl , mix butter , sugar , eggs & salt til well incorporated .
3) Add in flour , 1 cup at a time & mix till form a dough . Transfer the dough to a clean , floured surface & knead till smooth & elastic for about 5 - 7 mins . The dough should be soft & not sticky . If it's too sticky , add more flour . Transfer the dough ball into g greased big bowl & cover with plastic wrap . Let to rise til double in size in a warm place about 1-1/2 - 2 hours .
4) For the poppy seed filling : Combine milk & sugar in a sauce pan . Bring to a boil & add in poppy seed & raisins . Simmer for a few minutes , stirring constantly . Remove from heat & stir in lemon zest & honey . Set aside to cool before using .
5) Lined baking tray with parchment paper . Punch dough down & divide the dough into two equal parts . Roll out each dough into a rectangle measuring 35 x 30 cm . Spread the dough with poppy seed filling leaving 2.5 cm on all the edges . Roll up lengthwise , make sure that the rolls remain tight & firm . Transfer the rolls on lined baking tray . Cover rolls with a clothe & let to rise again for 45 - 60 minutes . Preheat oven to 180°C & brush egg wash over the rolls & bake for 30 mins til golden brown . Let to cool before dusting powdered sugar over the roll .
Linking this post to Cook & Celebrate : Christmas 2015 event hosted by Bake For Happy Kids , Goody Foodies & The Domestic Goddess Wannabe .
Linking this post to Bake Along # 89 - Christmas Yeasted Bread hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours , Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids & Lena from Frozen Wings .