We love Mincemeat Pies especially the ones from Marks & Spencer . The rich buttery crust is just to die for . Anyway since I've bought some ready-made Mincemeat from M&S , I thought this is a great opportunity to try out this recipe from Nigella Christmas cookbook . Another awesome recipe from this cookbook . These pie crusts are rich & flaky ..... just DELICIOUS . Maybe next year I'll make my own mincemeat ... LOL
Star-Topped Mince Pies
Recipe adapted from Nigella Christmas cookbook
Ingredients makes 36
1- 2/3 cups flour
5 Tbsp vegetable shortening (Crisco)
4 Tbsp cold butter -diced small
1 orange - juice
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup mincemeat ( I've used Marks & Spencer mincemeat)
Confrctioner sugar for dusting
You also need :
Mini tart tins ( I've used individual moulds)
Round fluted cookie cutter ( about 6 cm)
Small star cutter
1) In a large bowl , add in flour , 1 tsp of shortening & butter . Shake them together & cover , put in the freezer for 20 mins . ( This is to make the pastry tender & flaky later)
2) In a small bowl combine orange juice & salt , cover & place in the refrigerator to chill .
3) Beat flour mixture with the rest of the shortening till crumbs in food processor . Pour in salted orange juice down the funnel, pulsing til it looks as if the dough is about to cohere ; you want to stop just before it does ( even if some orange juice is left ) If needed more liquid , add some iced water .
4) Turn the dough out on a clean surface , combine dough with hand . Then turn into 3 discs for 3 batches . Wrap each disc in plastic wrap & place in the refrigerator for 20 mins .
5) Preheat oven to 220°C . Roll out the disc , one at a time into thin & light layer . Using a round cookie cutter & cut out circles a little wider than the indentations in the tart tins . Press these circles into the molds & dollop a teaspoon of mincemeat .
6) Cut out the stars with little star cutter , place them on top of the mincemeat without pressing in . Bake for 10 to 15 mins . Let cool before dusting confectioner sugar over the pies . PLS , I forgot to dus mine .... oh well , LOL
Linking this post to Cook-Your-Book # 29 hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours
Linking this post to Cook & Celebrate : Christmas 2015 event hosted by Bake For Happy Kids , Goody Foodies & The Domestic Goddess Wannabe .