A lovely Dutch tea time treat also known as Triple ‘A’ Pie . Triple ‘A’ for apple, almond & apricot that were the main ingredients to make this tasty pie . This amazing pie consists of a nice buttery pie crust with a layer of apricot jam & rich almond filling . I really love the crunchy almond flakes & apricot glaze topping .
I've made this pie into mini individual ones . Because of the addition of apricot jam in this pie , I’ve reduced quite a bit of sugar for this recipe . As I do want it to be overly sweet & it turned out to be just the right sweetness for us . I’ve also made some homemade almond paste & you can use store bought paste as well . Thanks to my friend Lannie from The Netherlands for this delicious recipe .
This post is linked to Little Thumbs Up event organized by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids with Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY & hosted this month by me , Kit from I-Lost in Austen . To join this event & link with us at this post
Dutch Apple , Almond & Apricot Pie – Dutch Triple ‘A’ Pie
For the crust base :
100g icing sugar (I’ve reduced to 70g)
A pinch of salt
½ a lemon zest
20 or 22 cm pie plate
For The filling :
3 big apples – peeled, cored & sliced
2 Tbsp apricot jam
½ of vanilla pod (Can be replace with 1 tsp vanilla extract)
½ a lemon zest
130g butter –room temperature
150g almond paste
130g icing sugar ( I’ve reduced to 90g )
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
For the topping:
50g almond flakes
3-4 Tbsp apricot jam
***Homemade almond paste:
125g ground almond
1 fresh egg white
1) For the base crust: Cream butter & sugar till well combined . Add in flour, salt , lemon zest & egg . Knead into a smooth dough & cover with plastic wrap & place in the fridge for 1 hour .
2) For the filling : Add sliced apples with apricot jam , vanilla seeds & lemon zest together . Sift flour , baking powder with salt & set aside . Whisk butter till soft & creamy . Add in almond paste , sugar & eggs , mix well till all blended . Fold in flour mixture till almond paste mixture well combined & fluffy .
3) Preheat oven to
& greased pie plate .
4) On a clean & lightly floured surface , roll out base dough with a rolling pin . Place base dough in pie plate . Gently press the dough evenly into the bottom & sides of the pie plate . Poke the dough base with a fork .
5) Spread evenly 2Tbsp of apricot jam onto the base dough . Add in half of the almond paste mixture & layer the sliced apples over it . Top the rest of the almond paste mixture evenly . Sprinkle almond flakes over the top of the pie & bake for 60 mins till golden brown . Let to cool .
6) To finish the topping : In a small saucepan , melt apricot jam on low heat . Brush melted apricot jam on the top of the pie & serve .
***To make homemade almond paste (marzipan) :
In a food processor , add ground almond , sugar & grind till fine for about 1 or 2 minutes . Add in egg white & mix with processor till form thick paste . Store in an air tight container in the fridge . Can be store for several weeks .